Hybrid Cloud Engineer (Innovation Group)
G-Research is going through an exciting period of growth and transforming the way we run and build our technology platforms. As part of this transformation we are creating a Technology Innovation Group (TIG).
The group uses a combination of commercial cloud environments such as AWS and an innovation lab with on-premise infrastructure to quickly explore and assess new technologies. Activities include evaluating new hardware and software, assessing new big-data and analytics design patterns and working with the business building proof-of-concepts and prototypes.
We look at all kinds of technology from new development and analytics environments to novel data-stores, containerisation, parallelisation, machine learning and hardware including new server, storage, and network variants as well as new kinds of software and compute technology.
Who are we looking for?
This is a great opportunity for an experienced cloud engineer to come on board to be part of a team discovering, exploring, setting-up, evaluating and finding ways to best exploit new technologies across the entire stack.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Executing the day-to-day deliverables of the TIG in provisioning new cloud environments or on premise infrastructure to support technology evaluations and proof of concept development
- Developing the platform vision for the innovation group by working with IT and Development teams to repeatable get new PoCs up and running
- Contributing to the hybrid cloud strategy using your experience and keeping abreast of the latest developments in this area
- Building robust and scalable cloud and on premise environments to enable new technology evaluations to be quickly launched and reliably executed at scale
- Supporting development teams in the migration of their applications to the appropriate cloud platform for evaluation
You will have the following:
- Experience working in a team that has delivered hybrid cloud capability
- Knowledge of securing multi-tenant hybrid cloud environments using industry standard approaches
- Good Linux infrastructure background
- Knowledge of AWS environments, deployment, infrastructure as code, management and incident diagnosis
- Broad systems and infrastructure knowledge which may include CI tools, containerisation using Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift
- Experience of provisioning tools (e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation, Heat)
- Knowledge of Config Management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Scripting or programming skills
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. We use scientific techniques, big data and world-class technology to predict future movements in financial markets, and we develop the platform to deploy these ideas globally across multiple asset classes. We offer a dynamic, flexible and highly stimulating environment where good ideas are prized and rewarded.