Great Oaks Legacy Charter School in Newark is seeking a Full-Time School Nurse for the 2018-19 school year.
The School Nurse is a health services specialist who assists pupils and staff in attaining and/or maintaining optimum health, and promoting positive health habits and attitudes. The Nurse must evaluate the physical conditions of students and refer to appropriate resources. The School Nurse must be certified as such in the State of New Jersey and comply with all Federal and State licensing regulations.
- Access the physical well-being of the pupil in terms of developmental and present health status;
- Develop policies, procedures, and work standards for school health program
- Monitors compliance of school health program with federal, state, and local laws and agencies
- Screens and conducts health appraisals for staff and students and maintains records
- Prepares health reports for supervisor, board of education and health department
- Maintains security of school health supplies
- Corresponds with parents on health needs of children
- Manages student health records; Records immunizations, health findings, and other relevant health data
- Provides professional development for staff as requested
- Participates in child study team process as needed
- Maintains and requests orders for equipment/supplies for nurse’s office and first aid station
- Administers medication to students as prescribed by physician.
The School Nurse may communicate with the School Doctor as necessary and coordinate physicals. The school nurse must be present at the school as agreed upon with Executive Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Considerable knowledge of medical disorders and treatment
- Considerable knowledge of child growth and development
- Working knowledge of public health programs and procedures for treatment in coordination with other health and social service agencies
- Experience in an acute care setting is preferred.
The school nurse must possess a registered nurse (RN) license and BSN degree. In addition s/he must possess an NJ Department of Education School Nurse Standard Certificate or be eligible to obtain emergency certification through the Essex County Office of Education.