Half-Year Tutor Corps - Urban Education Fellowship (January 2019-June 2019)
Half-Year Slots (January 2019-June 2019)
As a half-year AmeriCorps member, you will dedicate 900 hours of service by immersing yourself in the culture and routine of one of our four locations. By providing individualized instruction to our students and developing relationships, you play an active and integral role in preparing them for college and beyond.
As a half-year member of the Great Oaks Tutor Corps, you will mentor and tutor middle and high school students at a Great Oaks Charter School for the duration one semester (January to June). This is a service role through AmeriCorps with regular full-time hours Monday-Friday and some Saturdays.
In order to support your year of service, you will receive a living stipend ($6,866), a fully furnished housing benefit (utilities included), health insurance, and professional development throughout the year. You will also be eligible for a half Segal Education Award ($3,047.50) through AmeriCorps after your required hours are completed.
The ideal candidate for the Tutor Corps is a recent college graduate, passionate about service and enacting social change. Great Oaks has schools in Newark, NJ, New York, NY, Bridgeport, CT, and Wilmington, DE, and is seeking tutors for all sites. The Tutor Corps plays an integral role in helping our schools achieve their mission: to prepare students to succeed in college. Great Oaks is seeking individuals who are motivated, enthusiastic, and up for one of the most rewarding challenges of their lives.
As a Tutor Corps member you will work with middle or high school students to provide individualized tutoring in small groups. Many of our students enter Great Oaks below grade level and this role requires hard work, creativity, and a dedication to helping students beat the odds.
Specific responsibilities include:
Fostering student achievement
- Provide daily tutoring to several small groups of Great Oaks students
- Assess student progress on a regular basis
- Lead after-school student clubs
- Support Saturday Academy over the course of the school year when necessary (dependent on campus placement)
- Work with students to set individualized, student-driven goals
- Actively participate in meetings pertaining to your role as a tutor and the success of your students
Building relationships with families:
- Develop relationships with families through weekly phone calls and other communications to maintain an open conversation about student performance
- Attend family events to help further build the school community
Assisting with overall student success during the school day:
- Be present during transitions and escort students when necessary
- Engage with students during their lunch period
- Assist with other activities and projects that directly impact student success, including providing in-class or curriculum support, organizing or leading after-school clubs, or working with our culture teams
Qualifications and Competencies:
A successful candidate will bring the following qualifications and competencies:
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree by January 3, 2019
- Citizenship or legal Permanent Residency in the United States (AmeriCorps requirement)
- Some experience working or volunteering with children; tutoring or mentorship experience preferable
- A commitment to serving children in under-resourced, urban communities
- Tenacity, flexibility, and passion
- Time management and a strong sense of organization
- Work collaboratively on a team, both in leadership and support roles
- Effectively communicate with students, parents, school administrators, and peers
- Ability to respond to and implement feedback
This half-year AmeriCorps service role will start on January 3,
- From the date of your application, you can expect to receive notice within a week regarding your eligibility
- After reviewing your qualifications and background, we will schedule you for a brief phone screen interview with one of our Recruitment Associates
- Should you move on in the process, you will be scheduled for an interview and work product evaluation with one of our four locations
(If you are applying through a mobile phone, we suggest using the notes feature and copying and pasting your paragraph into the application to ensure the clarity of your writing.)