Corporate Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Director
The Corporate Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Director provides safety and health leadership to Gogo globally, including developing comprehensive safety and health policies and programs and executing a safety and process management system while developing and implementing solutions that will keep our employees safe, prevent interruption of business operations, ensures regulatory compliance and drives a sustainable safety culture across the organization.
S/he will address safety and health related issues, proactively and preventively, working closely with the Gogo Leadership Team, providing direction, developing strategies to close identified gaps, and driving continuous EHS improvement. S/he will be responsible for achieving excellence in safety and health performance while ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations. This position has a direct impact on the well-being of our employees, the perception of our customers, and the financial performance of our company; as such, the individual must possess an in-depth knowledge of safety and health regulations and management methods, along with an ability to communicate with a wide variety of people and influence actions. This role will work independently and have a high level of interpersonal skills to work across all levels of the organization.
- Continue with the development, implementation and administration of Gogo’s Safety Management System to create a strong safety culture
- Establish and administer EHS policies, procedures and programs across the organization to ensure ongoing effectiveness and global compliance. Recommend and implement changes in accordance with changes in laws globally.
- Act as advocate and primary owner of company’s safety program via regular written and in-person communications with the company’s executives, department heads, and employees.
- Lead the safety committee in meetings and projects working collaboratively with executive sponsor
- Provide written reports, as well as other EHS related results and updates, to senior management periodically to appraise leaders of critical issues or as requested.
- Develop and monitor meaningful leading indicators of safety and health risk/performance evaluate data trending, and provide data input to management reviews, with a view to continuous improvement and enhancement of safety performance.
- Oversee the delivery of EHS training for employees identifying appropriate and relevant content providers and recommending required courses to
- Work collaboratively with business operations to implement safety and health initiatives including Safe Job Procedures, Standard Practices, PPE requirements, etc. in according with company policies and regulations
- Manage and advise on the budget related to EHS spending and coordinate with department and other business units as appropriate.
- Identify and implement appropriate environmental/sustainability programs
- Conduct hazard and risk assessments and audits; develop new or, where necessary, make recommendations to amend, safety policies and procedures or ensure timeline completion of corrective actions that drive continuous improvement
- Manage OSHA 300 log, files OSHA log annually.
- Facilitate incident investigations, root cause analysis, site remediation, and closure of corrective actions as needed.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert advisor regarding EHS related terms in contracts with vendors, partners and customers.
- Monitor and assist operations in the enforcement of health and safety regulations internally and associated with vendor, partner and / or customer contracts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA)
- Possess strong leadership skills and ability to communicate with clarity and passion to influence decisions through mutual respect and drive a best in class safety and health program
- Ability to motivate and influence others at all levels to achieve safety & environmental objectives is important.
- Highly motivated, energetic, self-directed individual with good analytical and problem-solving skills. Willingness to take ownership of issues and win buy-in of others.
- Must demonstrate extensive working knowledge of regulatory requirements in the manufacturing and aviation industries
- Experience in managing OSHA VPP, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, ANSI Z10 and other EHS initiatives.
- General knowledge of comparable global EHS standards, particularly Europe and APAC.
- Must be able to use judgment, safety & health knowledge and experience to develop programs and make decisions at an enterprise level
- Strong track record of performance with demonstrated achievements in reducing risks
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and be able to communicate effectively in associated technical and regulatory language
- Supports a culture reflective of a commitment to an illness and injury free workplace.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications, including MS Project, and working experience with spreadsheets.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety, IH or related field (engineering or sciences) required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in any combination of the following areas: Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Management and Aviation Safety.
- Experience establishing safety program and driving commitment to safety culture in global organization
- Professional certifications as ASP, CSP or CIH (Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist) required.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Ability to work under pressure and continuously meet deadlines. Long hours may be required.
- Typically works in normal office environment, but must be able to work in shop operations and aircraft hangars
- Possible exposure to weather, loud noises (i.e., flight lines) and hazardous conditions
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
Gogo is the inflight internet company. Our worldwide inflight Wi-Fi services have made internet and video entertainment a regular part of flying. We are a diverse and mission-minded group of professionals all working together in extraordinary harmony. And that’s just the beginning. We connect the aviation industry and air travelers with innovative technology and applications, and we do it all in a high-energy environment that welcomes the next challenge. Be prepared to join a performance-obsessed team that is passionate about bringing the internet to every device, every flight, everywhere.