As the Scrum Master (SM) at Gogo, you will be responsible for creating an environment that enables a team to excel as a high performing Scrum team. He or She is people focused and serves as a Facilitator, Process Coach/Mentor and is a “mirror” to the team. The SM will support one or two Agile developments teams within a SAFe environment. This will include supporting all phases of software development from requirements definition through to production rollout as well as quarterly planning sessions for release trains. The ability to work with cross functional teams in a matrixed environment is key. Also, crucial is the ability to ensure timely delivery through removal of blockers such that strategic objectives are met.
Scrum master is responsible for:
- Coaching the team on lean agile principles using data such as flow metrics, velocity to leverage best practices.
- Living and helping others on the team live the values and principles in the agile manifesto.
- Coaching the Team in self-organization and cross-functionality.
- Coaching the team towards consistent estimation and planning cadence to support predictable value delivery.
- Creating a transparent environment that shares observations and promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Creating and maintaining strong working agreements for the teams to live by and derive value from.
- Using consensus facilitation techniques to get agreement or alignment.
- Understanding and being able to explain the “why” behind any Scrum process and be open to change.
- Effectiveness of all Scrum events daily standups, sprint planning, sprint demo and retrospective meetings.
- Ensuring team maintains focus on objectives, goals and scope for each Sprint and each Program Increment.
- Communicates and effectively represents the team’s technical abilities.
- Supporting program level events within the Agile Release Train, scrum of scrums and release planning activities.
- Tracking progress to plan for all sprints, ensuring data accuracy at all times.
- Removal of blockers, closure of dependencies and implementation of retrospective items.
- Clearly communicating and escalating issues to program teams and leadership.
- Taking a proactive stance by developing contingency plans for potential risks.
- Supporting backlog grooming with product management.
- Min 5 years of experience as scrum master using agile methodology and frameworks such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, Lean etc.
- Detailed knowledge of Agile techniques such as: User Stories, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Testing, Pair and Mob Programming, Automated Testing.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and has practical problem-solving skills, is a critical thinker, and self-starter
Preferred Education and Experience
Experience in both start-ups and consolidated companies is preferred.
- Wireless Telecommunication experience, Satellite, and/or cellular a plus.
- Knowledge of Avionics systems a plus.
- Superior communications skills with all levels of an organization including coaching and negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with demanding schedule constraints and distributed teams.
- Strong facilitation and coaching skills and a “value oriented” mindset that focuses on flow.
- Demonstrated Lean-Agile Practitioner
- Expertise in agile scaling patterns or structures
- Experienced neutral process holder that guides the individual’s, team’s, or organization’s process of discovery, holding to their purpose and definition of success.
- Ability to offer the right knowledge, at the right time, taught in the right way, so that individuals, teams and organizations metabolize the knowledge for their best benefit.
- Facilitate, catalyze and (as appropriate) lead organizational change and transformation. Drawing on change management, organization culture, organization development, systems thinking, and other behavioral sciences.
- Experience working as Scrum master within SAFe framework.
- Experience with Business strategy and management frameworks that employ agile as a competitive business advantage a plus. Eg Lean Start-Up, product innovation techniques, flow-based business process management approaches, and other techniques that relate to innovating in the business domain
- Experience/Exposure with the following technologies/tools.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline
- SAFe Agilest certification
- Certified Scrum Master Certification
Gogo is the inflight internet company. Our worldwide inflight Wi-Fi services have made internet and video entertainment a regular part of flying. We are a diverse and mission-minded group of professionals all working together in extraordinary harmony. And that’s just the beginning. We connect the aviation industry and air travelers with innovative technology and applications, and we do it all in a high-energy environment that welcomes the next challenge. Be prepared to join a performance-obsessed team that is passionate about bringing the internet to every device, every flight, everywhere.