Director, Aircraft Sustaining Engineering
The Director, Sustaining Engineering is responsible for managing and developing the Sustaining Engineering Organization, which is responsible for providing airline engineering support in order to install and maintain Gogo’s equipment on commercial Aircraft.
· Provide leadership, professional development, mentoring, performance management, technical direction and support to the Sustaining Engineering department.
· Support the development of new Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) projects as well as assist in maintaining existing STC packages.
· Demonstrate proactive engineering judgment in anticipation and solving procedural issues that may impact the schedule of STC issuance.
· Maintain current knowledge in the field in order to recommend process changes or innovations that will improve the quality, economy and effectiveness of the Sustaining Engineering department.
· Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Gogo Sustaining Engineering department, ensuring adherence to high levels of industry standards, customer service, and on-time and cost performance.
· Reporting to the VP Aircraft Technical Services, communicate any ideas that would change the nature of current operating procedures or require additional capital to achieve the change.
· Provide timely and accurate reporting of operating results and other special projects and initiatives under his or her direction to the VP Aircraft Technical Services.
· As a senior member of the Aircraft Technical Services team, contribute to the overall strategic direction and business plan of Gogo by participating in the ongoing planning process which produces a clear and compelling vision, and mid and long-term business objectives.
· Manage ongoing operating performance for the Sustaining Engineering department against the plans and budgets, on a quarterly, monthly and weekly basis.
· Manage and continuously improve operational performance on key dimensions such as project completion, engineering specifications, certification performance and employee satisfaction and morale.
· Establish standards for the Sustaining Engineering department and inspire the team to engage and adopt the Gogo brand promise, identity and culture.
· Ensure that Gogo meets all airline, government and corporate regulations and policies on an ongoing basis. Address potential deviations immediately.
· Recruit, hire, train and develop employees to meet the objectives for the Sustaining Engineering department. Balance the quality and quantity of available resources to meet growth demands and achieve overall business goals.
· Manage relationships with senior representatives of various key constituents including airlines, employees, suppliers and regulators, Alongside the VP Aircraft Technical Services, serve as one of the key external ambassadors for the Gogo Operations group.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE
· 15+ years supporting FAA certification projects, major aircraft modifications and/or related projects.
· Familiar with airline operations and maintenance activities.
· Demonstrable experience selecting, managing, developing and motivating technically diverse teams.
· Able to manage talent and promote people accordingly as well as identifying and managing out poor performers.
· Proven track record of hiring and mentoring high performing teams.
· Proven people management skills with the ability to win instant respect and rapport at all levels of the organization. Able to set goals and provide solutions that all employees can relate to. Ability to work closely with all staff and colleagues to attain strategic goals.
· An excellent communicator (verbal and written) internally and externally, able to represent the company to the highest standards and report effectively to senior management team.
· Past experience transforming teams and deliverables from variable performance to predictable performance.
· Knows how to transform teams from a reactive to pro-active mindset.
· Can build a unified team (full time and contractors and multi-site) that are focused on the customer and the Gogo business goals.
· A leader with the vision and teamsmanship to stay ahead of demands as the company goes through a high growth phase, globally.
· Experience working with teams of senior management, design teams, and various internal/external customers as well as experience in various engineering/operations activities including structures, avionics and wireless communications.
· Will have the capacity to assume more significant responsibilities over time.
· Existing strong and trusted relationships with airline customers and partners highly desired.
· Extensive experience with FAA and international equivalents. Including experience in developing Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) Packages and working with the FAA regulators, including ODA’s, and a background with Federal Regulations (14 CFR Parts 21, 23, 25), Parts (91, 121,135 a plus).
· Strong knowledge in both aircraft structural/electrical engineering disciplines.
- Solid experience in project management, project planning and budget management
- Strong project management leadership background
- Experience working with teams of senior management, design teams, and various internal/external customers as well as experience in various engineering/operations activities including avionics and wireless communications.
· Knowledge of wireless and SATCOM airborne equipment and their use onboard commercial aircraft.
· Understanding of US and emerging Americas, Asian and European airline markets strongly desired.
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related technical field. Advanced degree preferred.
· Great references. We are looking for a leader that is highly valued by others.
· FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) delegation(s) a plus.
- An in-depth understanding of aircraft engineering and certification processes
- Strong knowledge in developing aircraft engineering teams
- A track record of successful leadership experiences leading highly skilled engineering teams
Gogo is the inflight internet company. Our worldwide inflight Wi-Fi services have made internet and video entertainment a regular part of flying. We are a diverse and mission-minded group of professionals all working together in extraordinary harmony. And that’s just the beginning. We connect the aviation industry and air travelers with innovative technology and applications, and we do it all in a high-energy environment that welcomes the next challenge. Be prepared to join a performance-obsessed team that is passionate about bringing the internet to every device, every flight, everywhere.