Sr. Underwriter - Agriculture
American Reliable Insurance Company (ARIC), a member of Global Indemnity Ltd, is a growing and an opportunistic specialized agriculture (AG) insurance company that provides a broad set of Ag products and provides better than industry underwriting and claim services to meet our AG customer’s risk needs.
The Senior Agriculture (AG) Underwriter will be responsible for underwriting farm, ranch, and equine risks, including related optional coverages. The individual will work with Retail and Managing General Agents to establish a primary carrier position within the agency while developing a book of business populated with target risks. This position will be responsible for managing, monitoring and maintaining strong agent relationships and have accountability for implementing and achieving business objectives and goals and will be called upon to contribute and support product development, address regulatory inquiries and complaints if they arise in the Agriculture business sector. In the course of underwriting business, this position will collaborate with the Company’s Product Management, Actuarial, Marketing, Reinsurance, IT, Claims, Operations and Legal Departments. Products may include but are not limited to agriculture production operations, equestrian operations, horse owner liability & farm management risk. Incumbent will be a member of the fastest growing unit in American Reliable and an important role in making American Reliable Insurance Company a major player in the US market. Remote work from home opportunities are available.
- Manages profitable agency relationships by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual agencies, developing integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability and growth and recommending, implementing, and monitoring necessary action plans. Participates in producer reviews and implements resulting action or development plans.
- Examine, identify, assess and evaluate individual risks by analyzing exposures from various sources (e.g. application, diagrams, inspection reports, riskmeter, google earth, risk websites, etc.) to make appropriate underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned territory. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws.
- Provide timely, articulate, and consistent responses for quoting, writing and renewing business within prescribed Underwriting Authority granted by the Company.
- Build relationships with agents and other individuals and entities within the agriculture and equestrian marketplace to assure a steady stream of valuable and actionable competitive intelligence.
- Regularly monitor results (including conducting audits) at a variety of levels and recommend the appropriate business development or rehabilitation/correction strategy.
- Train agents on proper procedures, product knowledge and underwriting guidelines.
- Analyze claim reports and pre-underwriting reviews to determine action to be taken on renewal business.
- Analyze assigned agent’s portfolios for premium production and loss experience and recommend ways to improve their results.
- Ability to work in an electronic workflow environment (i.e. ImageRight or similar software) to process underwriting decisions, store underwriting documents and document the underwriting thought process.
- Collaborates with team members to manage workflow, work inventories and all production activities to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with corporate service standards.
- Provide support for business requirements for automated underwriting system.
- 5+ years of experience with progressive advancement in a retail, MGU, or company setting, underwriting farm, ranch, equine package accounts and related coverages.
- In-depth knowledge of the Equine/Equestrian property, inland marine, care custody or control, liability, commercial auto and excess liability lines of business.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience required.
- High level of technical expertise acquired in practical settings, e.g., competitive or recreational riding, veterinary office, or boarding or riding lesson facility, etc.
- Understanding of the implications of acute or chronic conditions on the eligibility of a horse for the requested coverages.
- Familiar with basic compliance and regulatory requirements with respect to filings, cancellation and non-renewal of policies, deletion of coverages, risk specific rate changes, manuscript endorsements, or non-disclosure or misrepresentation.
- General working knowledge of competitors.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities.
- Demonstrates strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to work from home when required (i.e., high speed internet connection, computer, printer, scanner, etc.).
- Regular travel up to 15% to meet with agents for training and initial business development plans and attend relevant industry events.
American Reliable offers a competitive compensation package that includes medical and dental benefits, tuition reimbursement, a matching 401-k plan, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, generous paid time off, along with personal growth and career advancement opportunities.