This position will be responsible for managing the underwriting and agency management function for a large regional segment of Penn America including a team of 5-6 production underwriters. Assist the segment leadership with establishing growth and profitability objectives for the territory, and subsequently drive and manage underwriters towards those objectives. Ensure the continued relationship management with a large plant of wholesale agents by ensuring communication and service from underwriters. Assist with the establishment of underwriting authority limits for both underwriting staff and wholesale MGAs. Assist with the appointment and or termination of agents. Select, train, develop, and coach underwriting staff; ensuring regular communication and feedback.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Assist with managing pricing objectives, profit improvement, profit improvement opportunities and combined ratio results for assigned territories
- Direct the underwriting risk section and underwriting process, planning, reporting, forecasting and business development for the lines of business
- Provide leadership, technical advice, council and expertise in the development of the underwriting staff.
- Collaborate with the company’s Underwriting, Actuarial, Reinsurance, Systems, Claims and Legal functions
- Manage underwriting accountability through several direct reports; and develop key contacts with high quality wholesale agents, reinsurance carriers and intermediaries
- Participate in forming recommendations for the strategic direction of the Binding Authority lines of business.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- A minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in Primary Excess and Surplus Lines underwriting with extensive experience in the underwriting and marketing of General Liability and Property product lines through a wholesale broker distribution system. Demonstrated ability to underwrite, price and negotiate small and medium account business in accordance with established guidelines, procedures and strategies.
- Developed technical knowledge of underwriting, product design, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting in a multi-line environment
- Strong agency management experience with strong relationships with the wholesale brokerage community
- Ability to analyze individual risks for profit opportunity and provide underwriting solutions, through creativity and vision to design coverage that can appropriately respond to a specific line of business, class or customer need.
- Possess an in-depth working intelligence of current business issues within the wholesale broker and excess and surplus lines community.
- Ability to work effectively and advise Business Unit leader and staff organization in business planning, new product design, distribution channels and broker evaluation and selection.
- Demonstrated flexibility to react to ever-changing environments and market conditions. Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better methods of competence.
- “Hands-on” ability to direct, manage and influence the underwriting process to support coverage design required as outlined by the strategies and underwriting philosophy.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- High energy, with a desire to be a team player capable of interacting with a variety of individuals internally and externally.
- Proven ability at negotiating and reviewing contracts and policy terms.
- A positive attitude, with a sense of urgency directed toward the design of creative solutions.
- Prior management experience leading a high performing underwriting team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Overnight travel within territory will be required (approximately 10-20%)
- The ability to work remotely as required via a personal computer and the company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software