Head of Agriculture
In this senior leadership position, this individual is responsible for management and oversight of the Agriculture (agriculture production operations, equestrian operations, horse owner liability, and farm management risk) Underwriting Division. In conjunction with Commercial Lines leadership, establish growth and profitability objectives for the segment, and subsequently drive and manage underwriters towards those objectives through middle management. Have final accountability for the entire group of retail and wholesale appointed agents by ensuring communication and service from underwriters and underwriting leaders. Interact with agent contacts at national and regional level. Establishment of underwriting authority limits for both underwriting staff and agents. Have final accountability for the appointment and/or termination of agents. Select, train, develop, and coach management staff; ensuring regular communication and feedback. Be able to identify early talent in the department and ensure it is cultivated through a sound reward and development program administered by middle management.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Managing premium growth and pricing objectives, profit improvement, profit improvement opportunities, and combined ratio results for the entire Agiculture Underwriting Division
- Direct the underwriting risk section and underwriting process, planning, reporting, forecasting, and business development for the lines of business
- Provide leadership, technical advice, council, and expertise in the development of the underwriting management staff; have final accountability for all personnel activities within the division including mentoring, coaching, developing, and hiring staff. Be able to accurately plan for and budget staff at appropriate levels
- Maintain awareness of prevailing products and appetites in the insurance agribusiness marketplace; maintain competitor analysis and subsequently work with Product Development on necessary modifications and/or new products
- Manage underwriting accountability through underwriting leaders
- Have final responsibility for individual agent relationships at the highest level; develop key contacts with key agents, aggregators, and other intermediaries
- Form recommendations for the strategic direction of the Agribusiness lines of business and present to Company leadership and the Board of Directors, as appropriate
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 15+ experience in agribusiness underwriting with extensive experience in the underwriting and marketing of multiple coverage product lines through a wholesale broker distribution system.
- 5+ years leading high performing underwriting &/or similar teams, including experience managing managers.
- Developed technical knowledge of underwriting, product design, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting in a multi-line environment
- Strong agency management experience with strong relationships with the wholesale and retail agency community; ability to work with and understand agent protocols, methods of conducting business, personalities, etc. in various parts of the country. Ability to interact effectively with agents in a wide variety of methods (from the formal office meeting, company sponsored agent events, social, recreational events as needed, etc.)
- Exceptional analytical & data-driven capabilities, mindset, and problem-solving skills.
- Use analytical tools to identify the root cause of underwriting missed opportunities and improvement areas at the strategic level. Work with various departments such as actuarial, Product Development, and IT on solutions; implement such solutions.
- Possess an in-depth working intelligence of current business issues within the retail and wholesale agents in both the standard market and excess and surplus lines community.
- Have accountability for staff organization in business planning, new product design, distribution channels and broker evaluation and selection.
- Demonstrated flexibility to react to ever-changing environments and market conditions. Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better methods of competence.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, AFIS etc.) are a plus
- Technical expertise acquired in practical related settings, e.g., agriculture industry, competitive or recreational riding, veterinary office, or boarding or riding lesson facility, etc. a plus
- Ability to travel nationally on a regular basis
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.