The Sr. Underwriter underwrites new business commercial property and general liability property risk. Manage an assigned territory in support of profitable growth objectives. This individual will develop strategic, operational and tactical plans that are designed to achieve and exceed established goals. Relationship management is of critical importance and determined by where Penn-America’s position of prominence sits within each appointed agency.
This candidate must demonstrate a strong customer focus with a sense of urgency balanced with core property & casualty technical skills that enables this individual to underwrite individual risks with speed, accuracy, and prudent decision acumen.
The Sr. Underwriter works under broad direction and significant authority limits on complex accounts and has developed significant technical knowledge in E&S property underwriting and/or companies products. Provide guidance to lower level underwriters as needed.
- Review, price, and manage renewal business (multi line with an emphasis on general liability and property) in accordance with company guidelines
- Select, price, quote, and decline new business in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and experienced, underwriting judgment
- Respond to endorsement requests from existing accounts
- Provide 24 hour response time on new business submissions and same day turn-around on phone calls and emails, Work collaboratively with other Underwriters in the Unit to maintain 24 hour response time on new submissions.
- Travel regularly to assigned agents
- Develop and maintain collaborative business relationships with appointed agents to foster the generation of profitable business
- Accountability for the production and loss ratio performance of assigned agents
- Educate agents on Penn-America Group products and underwriting systems
- 6-10 years Property and Casualty Underwriting experience required including expertise in general liability and property risks; experience underwriting Excess and Surplus lines preferred
- Experience working with wholesale brokers preferred
- Overnight travel within territory to meet with brokers will be required (approximately 10-20%); the ability to efficiently plan/manage agency visits and travel time will be essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market Penn-America products to agents is essential
- Excellent analytical skills required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team with other underwriters will be needed
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, ETC.) are a plus
- Insurance rating experience is plus
- Strong computer skills are a necessity. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook)