Commercial Lines Underwriter
Be responsible for managing an assigned territory in support of profitable growth objectives. Technical underwriting of commercial property and liability risks under coaching. Manage an agency territory as well and establish agency goals. Market companies’ products through assigned MGA agents within a specific territory. Acting as a referral underwriter for the MGAs, the Underwriter II will review a high volume of referred risks within broadening authority levels and accept or decline accordingly. Begin to travel to key agents independently and remain highly visible in the insurance marketplace. Monitor and adhere to company underwriting rules and guidelines as well as insurance laws and regulations. Maintain excellent contact with assigned agents and be able to deliver feedback on submissions constructively and with tact.
- Evaluate, assess and apply core underwriting techniques to individual risks to determine acceptance, declination or modification of terms in accordance with established company guidelines
- Underwrite and handle endorsement requests, premium audits issues, cancellation and reinstatements, etc.
- Provide 24 hour or better response time on new business submissions. Work collaboratively with other underwriters in the unit to maintain 24 hour response time standard.
- Prompt response to phone calls and emails.
- Respond to department of insurance complaints and inquiries
- Partner with more experienced underwriters to educate and train agents on Penn-America Group products and underwriting systems
- Learn and apply concepts of agency management
- Manage assigned territory that supports the growth & profitability objectives established by the business unit. Create strategic agency management plans that encompasses production and loss ratio targets as well as travel and marketing plans
- Participate in product, rate review and underwriting guideline development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years Property and Casualty Underwriting experience required including expertise in general liability and property risks; experience underwriting Excess and Surplus lines preferred
- Experience working with wholesale brokers preferred
- Overnight travel within territory to meet with brokers will be required (approximately 10-20%); the ability to efficiently plan/manage agency visits and travel time will be essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market Penn-America products to agents is essential
- Excellent analytical skills required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team with other underwriters will be needed
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, ETC.) are a plus
- Insurance rating experience is plus
- Strong computer skills are a necessity. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook)