This candidate must demonstrate a strong customer focus with a sense of urgency balanced with core property & casualty technical skills that enables this individual to underwrite individual risks with speed, accuracy, and prudent decision acumen.
- Review, price, and manage renewal business (multi line with an emphasis on general liability and property) in accordance with company guidelines
- Select, price, quote, and decline new business in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and experienced, underwriting judgment
- Respond to endorsement requests from existing accounts
- Provide 24 hour response time on new business submissions and same day turn-around on phone calls and emails, Work collaboratively with other Underwriters in the Unit to maintain 24 hour response time on new submissions.
- Travel regularly to assigned agents
- Develop and maintain collaborative business relationships with appointed agents to foster the generation of profitable business
- Accountability for the production and loss ratio performance of assigned agents
- Educate agents on Penn-America Group products and underwriting systems
- 6-10 years Property and Casualty Underwriting experience required including expertise in general liability and property risks; experience underwriting Excess and Surplus lines preferred
- Experience working with wholesale brokers preferred
- Overnight travel within territory to meet with brokers will be required (approximately 10-20%); the ability to efficiently plan/manage agency visits and travel time will be essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market Penn-America products to agents is essential
- Excellent analytical skills required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team with other underwriters will be needed
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, ETC.) are a plus
- Insurance rating experience is plus
- Strong computer skills are a necessity. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to download company VPN software on compatible personal computing equipment to allow for remote work as necessary.