The Technical Underwriter underwrites predominantly new business commercial property risk. Market the companies’ commercial property products through assigned agents within a specific territory. Review the quantity and quality of risks underwritten within specific authority levels. Regularly travel to key agents and remain highly visible in the insurance marketplace. Monitor and adhere to company underwriting rules and guidelines as well as insurance laws and regulations. Discuss performance with agents and opportunities for growth and improvement.
Under close supervision the Technical Underwriter will train to expand responsibilities into more independent underwriting decisions as well as independently manage agents.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Select, price, quote, issue or decline new business referred in accordance with company underwriting guidelines utilizing sound underwriting judgment.
- Service existing accounts through the evaluation of endorsement requests.
- Maintain service standards on new submissions; provide same day turn-around on phone calls and emails.
- Partner and maintain collaborative business relationships with appointed agents to develop, grow and underwrite profitable book of business; visit regularly with both local and non-local agents for marketing and feedback purposes.
- Handle business within prescribed authority grant and underwriting guidelines.
- Develop familiarity and proficiency in company tools and systems utilized in servicing business and monitoring production and loss ratio.
- Meet production and profitability goals as assigned
- Participate in other projects as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Minimum 1-2 years of property insurance experience or equivalent or a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Risk Management as well as professional internships in Underwriting.
- Insurance coursework beneficial.
- The ability to develop good working relationship with various producers as well as market the company’s products through regular visits to local and out of state agents using knowledge of company and competitor products. The ability to travel within assigned territory
- Insurance rating experience is ideal (property and general liability).
- Growing familiarity/experience with Construction, Protection, Occupancy and Exposure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to maintain effective agency relationships.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be team-oriented.
- The ability to work remotely as required via a personal computer and the company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software