In this position you will manage the underwriting of commercial property business and brokerage relationships including visitation to present our products and underwriting appetite, develop relationships, production and profitability. You will participate in forming recommendations for the strategic direction of the Property lines of Business for non-admitted excess and surplus business. This position is responsible for the profitable underwriting and growth of the commercial property segment in one region including the performance, development and coaching of staff.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Achieve planned results for a specific geographic territory to attain business objectives and goals.
- Select, price, quote, and decline new business referred by agents (“submit” classes) in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and application of experienced, sound underwriting judgment.
- Review, price, and manage renewal business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Strong Excess and Surplus Lines expertise in Property product lines that will drive the continued development, profitability and growth of this organization.
- Manage pricing objectives, profit improvement opportunities and combined loss ratio results of staff.
- Direct the underwriting risk section and underwriting process.
- Provide technical advice, counsel and expertise in the development of the underwriting staff.
- Manage a team underwriting and support staff
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 10 plus years’ experience in Primary Excess and Surplus Lines underwriting with extensive experience in the underwriting and marketing of Property product lines through a wholesale broker distribution system. Demonstrated ability to underwrite, price and negotiate large account business in accordance with established guidelines, procedures and strategies.
- Developed technical knowledge of underwriting, product design, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting in Property risks.
- Expertise in structuring and managing facultative reinsurance.
- Ability to analyze individual risks for profit opportunity and provide underwriting solutions, through creativity and vision to design coverage that can appropriately respond to a specific line of business, class or customer need.
- Possess an in-depth working intelligence of current business issues within the wholesale broker and excess and surplus lines community.
- Ability to work effectively and advise Business Unit leader and staff organization in business planning, new product design, distribution channels and broker evaluation and selection.
- Demonstrated flexibility to react to ever-changing environments and market conditions. Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better methods of competence.
- “Hands-on” ability to direct, manage and influence the underwriting process to support coverage design required as outlined by the strategies and underwriting philosophy.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- High energy, with a desire to be a team player capable of interacting with a variety of individuals internally and externally.
- Proven ability at negotiating and reviewing contracts and policy terms.
- A positive attitude, with a sense of urgency directed toward the design of creative solutions.
- Ability to manage others.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- The ability to work remotely as required via a personal computer and the company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software