You will be a key member of the application development leadership team. Apply proven communication and problem solving skills, development expertise, and knowledge of best practices to guide his/her development team on the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical software systems.
You will have opportunities to work with professional colleagues in several offices in the United States and Ireland, and will have significant exposure to senior management of the company. Some travel may be required to our other offices.
The ideal candidate will have minimum of 5 years of experience directly managing development resources and designing and supporting modern web applications and APIs. A deep development background as a programmer or an application architect is required to allow the candidate to be a functioning manager.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage a team of developers to design, develop, monitor, and maintain applications to support Global Indemnity’s P&C insurance operations.
- Provide strategic direction for the development team, identifying opportunities to consolidate, enhance, and upgrade the existing framework.
- Manage development work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Collaborate with multiple agile teams (pods) on successfully delivering projects and initiatives.
- Manage development teams in multiple locations, US and abroad; driving common processes and procedures, efficiency and development best practices.
- Manage and provide resolution of support and maintenance changes; resolving problems within established service levels for the customers.
- Manage staff, including orientation, training, career development, performance management and counseling as needed.
- 5+ years leading software development teams.
- 8+ years object oriented programming experience using C#.
- 8+ years SQL Server experience designing and developing database objects, writing queries, and analyzing result sets.
- Proven experience in developing enterprise and solution level architectural designs.
Experience with Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Microsoft Azure PaaS offerings including App Services, Function Apps, Azure Storage, etc.
- Experience working in a DevOps focused environment
- Experience building and maintaining DevOps CI/CD pipelines with Azure DevOps and ARM.
- Experience building solutions with .NET Core and ASP.NET Core
- Experience creating UI with SPA frameworks such as Angular
- Strong working experience with Microsoft Visual Studio, VS Code and source control providers like Team Foundation Server and Git including branching and merging strategies, continuous integration, and deployment automation.
- Technically fluent in service oriented technologies, integrating loosely coupled systems, and API protocols such as SOAP and REST using WCF and WebAPI.
- Experience in collaborative development in a team environment
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Experience developing software using a formal and structured development methodology.
- Knowledge of insurance business concepts and applications.
- Strong working knowledge of software design patterns.
- Proven project planning and management experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- The ability to download the companies VPN software onto a personal computer to allow for remote work as needed.