Intern (Spring - Summer 2019)
Global Indemnity Group offers a broad array of insurance and reinsurance products and services to meet the needs of a diverse customer base. Our operating divisions, Penn-America Group®, Diamond State Group®, United National Group®, American Reliable Insurance Company, VacantExpress.com®, Collectibles Insurance Services, and Global Indemnity Reinsurance Company Ltd., are providers of specialty property, and casualty coverage for specialty risks, programs, and niches that are generally not offered by standard insurance and reinsurance companies. Each of our operating divisions targets specific markets and distribution channels, providing the company and our agents opportunities and flexibility in conducting business. Visit www.globalindemnity.ky/home to learn more about our products and services.
Penn-America Group, a member of Global Indemnity Limited (NASDAQ: GBLI), offers specialty property and casualty products designed for small businesses. We hold admitted licenses and surplus lines qualifications in all 50 states and D.C.
Diamond State Group, a member of Global Indemnity Limited (NASDAQ: GBLI), serves the wholesale commercial property brokerage market and holds admitted licenses and surplus lines qualifications
In this role, the intern will gain valuable, practical and fundamental underwriting experience that can be applied to any future underwriting career path.
Responsibilities & Duties may include the following:
- Learning fundamental principles of property & casualty underwriting.
- Gain understanding of the wholesale distribution channel.
- Obtain exposure to the Surplus Lines industry of freedom of rate and form.
- Gaining perspective on how to research and gather facts on individual risks in order to evaluate the risk’s operations and how it impacts underwriting decisions.
- Evaluate, assess and apply core underwriting techniques to individual risks to determine acceptance, declination or modification of terms in accordance with established company guidelines.
- Underwrite and handle endorsement requests, premium audits issues, cancellation and reinstatements, etc.
- Shadowing experienced underwriters and underwriting assistants
- Order property inspections and work with underwriters to triage risks
- Work collaboratively with other underwriters in the unit to maintain our service response time standard.
- Prompt response to phone calls and emails.
- Potential in-city travel to accompany a production underwriter in their marketing call.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Pursing Bachelors’ degree with insurance or business concentration; ideal candidate will have completed Junior year, but open to other classes as well
- Prior experience in insurance and or general business a plus
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, etc.) Willingness and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to interact professionally with a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent organizational and time management skills