Sr. Data Developer
GBLI | Global Indemnity provides specialty property and casualty insurance for small to middle-market businesses – and we’re on a mission to the best-in-class while achieving steady, profitable growth. Our guiding principles include the core belief that our people are number one. We also strongly emphasize a customer-centric mentality and disciplined underwriting practices. Our work environment is flexible, friendly, and collaborative, with plenty of opportunities to take charge of your career.
What GBLI offers you:
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Professional development opportunities (including a mentorship program)
- Educational assistance program, which covers up to $5,250 in educational costs per year
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (with vision and dental)
- No-cost health insurance plan available
- Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with up to 6% company match and immediate vesting
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Company-sponsored social events
- Various committees to get involved in, which include our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Charitable Giving Committee, and Employee Wellness Committee
The Senior Data Developer is an experienced member of our development team, proven to have a wide range of experience in delivering data solutions. The Senior Data Developer’s role is to design, implement, and maintain strategic data systems that support core organizational functions, and help assure their high availability. The Senior Data Developer will contribute to the application delivery staff regarding all aspects of the DevOps lifecycle including designing, developing, testing, deploying, and monitoring data systems for the cloud (Azure) and datacenter. The data team creates and maintains data pipelines using a number of Azure technologies and services that interoperate between cloud and on-prem data stores and data marts. Members of the team stay current with emerging technology, follow current best practices, and use proven data design principles. During development, team members work on the complete stack from database to reporting and beyond.
- Building and maintaining a set of managed data pipelines consisting of a series of stages through which data flows for our data warehouse (DWH) and related data stores and data marts. These data pipelines must be created, maintained, and optimized as workloads move from development to production for specific use cases that support long-term strategic goals and short-term tactical plans for creating, managing, and maintaining corporate data systems and software.
- Ensuring data applications are created to the highest standards and meet all requirements by implementing and maintaining unit tests as well as automated regression, integration, and performance tests.
- Help maintain and extend software development coding/data standards – including but not limited to naming standards, documentation standards, and design pattern recommendations.
- Develop and maintain Data Documentation so that new and existing databases, flows and stores can be added to an operation manual.
- Work with traditional and agile software life cycle methodologies including working with users and Business Analysts to define requirements and create design documents.
- Conduct code reviews to ensure developers are following recommended coding practices and adhering to coding standards when releasing DWH changes.
- Adhere to and maintain source control and help develop branching and merging strategies to control code promotion and effectively segregate development, test, and production environments.
- Creation and maintenance of CI/CD pipelines with Azure DevOps.
- Liaise with all aspects of App Delivery and IT including network administrators, systems analysts, testers, and software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software products or company software systems.
- Use experience to aid and contribute to the recommendation, scheduling, and performance of DWH software improvements and upgrades, supporting other members of the team in decision making.
- Provide status on a regular basis and provide guidance to teammates.
- Ability to work independently as well as thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent analytical skills to understand current environment and business needs and provide innovative ideas to improve processes.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Relevant 3rd Level qualification (Degree, Masters) in a related discipline (Data Analytics, Data Science, Computer Science, Technology) or equivalent workplace experience.
- Minimum 2 years with ETL tools in a Highly Available DWH setting.
- Minimum 2 years DWH development with star/snowflake methodologies.
- Minimum 2 years working with relational preferably Microsoft SQL server (Oracle, DB2, Teradata, Netezza etc. accepted) including proven database design and delivery.
- Strong experience in T-SQL, PL-SQL, SQL Server Management Studio, Microsoft BI Stack (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS) including the ability to understand and use extended stored procedures
- Strong ability to design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata, and workload management.
- Experience with the following Azure Services a distinct plus (Azure Data Factory, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Bricks, Azure PowerShell, Azure Stream).
- DWH performance optimization performing intelligent sampling and caching a plus.
- Experience with related technologies such as JSON, XSLT, XQuery, XPath, a plus.
- Experience with Power BI or another high scale reporting service (MicroStrategy, Tableau acceptable) a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and mindfulness.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work remotely as required via a personal computer and the company’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.