Underwriting Leader-Personal Lines (Officer Level)
American Reliable Insurance Company (ARIC), part of Global Indemnity LTD (GBLI), underwrites and services an array of specialty insurance programs marketed with an emphasis on general agency distribution. ARIC is growing its Specialty Property business and has an opportunity for an officer level underwriter to join its management team. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of underwriting activities and processes, direct the underwriting risk selection and provide technical advice for the business unit. You will need to be a business leader that wants to profitably grow a key business unit. This position reports to the Chief Underwriting Officer.
- Responsible for monitoring the compliance and profitability of specified product lines as well as agency force from an operations and underwriting perspective.
- Participates in the rate review process with Actuarial and Marketing staff to assure quality products, adequate pricing and meet the needs of our clients and the marketplace.
- Participates in review of prospective products, retail and general agents and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Consulting specifically to product development, pricing, finance, regulatory compliance and other internal customers on all matters of underwriting operations.
- Remains abreast of developments in the field of personal lines underwriting by pursuing a program of self-development, participating in professional organizations, interacting with peers, reviewing pertinent literature, and so forth.
- Reporting to senior management on key metrics, plans, issues and strategic initiatives.
- Participates in agency seminars and conducts agency reviews, including termination or rehabilitation of agents.
- Establishes and maintains close communication with agents to collaborate on programs, coverages, rates and underwriting guidelines.
- Reviews and recommends exposure changes to senior management.
- Forecasting of insurance financials.
- Requires 10+ years of Personal Lines industry business experience; recognized as an expert in the industry.
- Undergraduate degree preferred. Equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- CPCU designation preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Proven leadership experience with an ability to collaborate and maintain relationships with a variety of individuals internally and externally. Proven ability to lead a team of underwriting professionals.
- Strong interpersonal skills; adept in relationship building with general and retail agents.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and align activities to meet goals in ever-changing environments and market conditions.
- Requires a developed technical knowledge of underwriting, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting of risks.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- Proven ability at negotiating and reviewing contracts and policy terms.
- Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better processes.
- Occasional travel.
- Ability to work from home when required (i.e., high speed internet connection, personal computer).