Database Adminstrator - SQL
The Database Administrator’s role is to design, install, monitor, maintain, and performance tune production databases while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for production database instances, and databases in conjunction with data owners
- Work with IT Architecture and Application Development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Establish and/or enforce appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team on database design and data structures.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing database systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Collaborate with Network Systems Manager to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Analyze system or application usage and plan for growth or increases in network capacity.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
- Microsoft Certified Database Administer (MCDBA) certification preferred.
- Strong understanding of database structures, normalization, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers including SQL Server 2008, 2012, and2016; SSIS & DTS, SSRS, Analysis Services and Microsoft Host Integration Services.
- Strong technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Windows 2008 through Windows 2016 Server Editions.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- The ability to download the company’s VPN software onto a personal computer to allow for remote work as needed.