Head of Property Brokerage Underwriting
In this senior leadership position, this individual is responsible for management and oversight of the Property Brokerage Underwriting Division, including growth and pricing objectives, short and long-term profitability management, implementing and executing profitable growth initiatives, system and process modernization, staff management and development, and strategic product guidance for the entire organization’s property writings.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Manage profitability and growth objectives for Property Brokerage Underwriting Division.
- Drive the division on a path to data-informed leadership through predictive analytics to support underwriting as well as workflow automation to increase efficiency.
- Achieve strong profitable growth results working in tandem with various departments, including but not limited to Actuarial, Catastrophe Modeling, Reinsurance, Pricing Analytics, Claims, and Product Management.
- Update/maintain rigorous quality control for underwriting decisions and supporting functions, including underwriting and policy issuance service standards.
- Serve as senior underwriting authority for all business written in division. Underwriting authority to be delegated to staff, as appropriate.
- Facilitate robust and ongoing communication among countrywide staff to ensure consistency across the division.
- Maintain exceptional awareness of the marketplace, competitors, industry trends, best practices, and agency/broker distribution models.
- Seek partnerships with distributors leading the market in data manipulation and process automation.
- Accountable for personnel activities including mentoring, coaching, developing, hiring, and performance management of direct reports, as well as oversight for entire Property Brokerage staff.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 10+ years of underwriting & analytics experience with strong background in property underwriting, marketing, excess & surplus lines, reinsurance, and/or product management/development.
- 5+ years leading high performing underwriting &/or similar teams, including experience managing managers.
- Prior experience in, or commitment to learn about, integrating new technology into business processes.
- Exceptional analytical & data-driven capabilities, mindset, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong agency/broker management experience with relationships in the national and local brokerage communities.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and engage staff.
- Possess an in-depth working knowledge of current market trends affecting the division.
- Ability to manage remote employees, including work-from-home staff.
- Ability to act decisively and coordinate field and home office functions for the successful function of the commercial property lines segment.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree, CPCU, and/or other industry designations a plus.
- The ability to download the company’s VPN software onto a personal computer to allow for remote work as needed.