Intern: Applied Threat Research
Gigamon’s Applied Threat Research (ATR) team is seeking interns in the Summer of 2020 in Seattle, Washington to support our Gigamon ThreatINSIGHT product. As an intern in Applied Threat Research, you will have the opportunity to collaborate amongst our team applying your unique skills in a variety of team functions including threat intelligence, threat detection, and security research all while discovering what you most enjoy most in the field of cybersecurity. After gaining experience and conducting operations within each function, our interns will complete a final project of their choosing with the goal of demonstrating knowledge gained and giving back to the team. Gigamon ATR was built by interns year over year and we deeply value the contributions they bring.
If you are interested in working with top-tier technical researchers to have fun, solve difficult problems, combat threats and protect customers, this is the opportunity for you!
- Threat Intelligence – Perform analysis of internal and external data to gain unique insights into threat activity within our customer environments as well as external to our customers for forward leaning defense.
- Threat Detection – Emulate threat actor behaviors and conduct network forensic analysis to identify the best methods of detecting threats within our customer base.
- Security Research and Development – Identify areas where technology and systems can significantly improve our operations and build these systems to empower our team. Engineer and maintain product prototypes that push ThreatINSIGHT to the next level in future releases.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Must be located in Seattle, WA. Applicants actively pursuing a degree within a relevant field are preferred.
- Knowledge of or interest in the field of cybersecurity. A desire to dive deep into the network security fundamentals.
- Foundational understanding of networking, specifically TCP/IP protocols.
- Experience participating in capture-the-flag (CTF) exercises of various levels.
- A desire to be challenged and the ability to learn while performing on-the-job.
- Willingness to have fun and share your unique perspective.
The Gigamon Applied Threat Research (ATR) team’s mission is to dismantle the ability of an adversary to impact our customers. Our team of expert security researchers, engineers and analysts focuses on continuous research of threat actors and emerging attack techniques while building detection and investigation capabilities leveraging the Gigamon Insight network telemetry and intelligence datasets. The team has the following core functions:
- Threat Intelligence – Research threats to inform detection engineering efforts
- Detection Engineering – Research, build, and maintain high quality detection capabilities for Gigamon Insight
- Security Engineering - Act as User Zero for Gigamon Insight. Research, prototype and validate future functionality for detection and investigation capabilities