Vice President, Engineering
The Vice President, Engineering is responsible for providing strategic technical leadership, establishing and directing all aspects of the team’s objectives and initiatives based on long-term product and profitability goals. S/he is responsible for supplying and maintaining adequate resources for all engineering functions in the pursuit of the team’s strategic goals and operational plans.
The Vice President, Engineering’s primary responsibility is to lead a team to cultivate innovative product solutions, and execute product development projects. The position requires flexibility to manage multiple customer requirements while using analytical and strategic skills to successfully win business and transition products into production. The successful candidate is an experienced technical and business professional who is able to focus simultaneously on near and long term objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Build, lead and manage the cross-functional engineering team dedicated to the ongoing advancement of the Engineering team and product roadmaps.
- Work with the Engineering Management Team to conduct ongoing skills assessment and proactively address potential skills gaps. Lead and mentor the engineering management team to continue to develop strong technical leaders.
- Planning and execution of product development, from product definition through production transition to meet goals and objectives.
- Champion the New Product Introduction process.
- Act as decision maker for high level / high impact engineering issues.
- Develop and support a culture of continuous improvement and best practices within the Engineering organization.
- Maintain a climate of fostering a high level of employee motivation, performance, and commitment. Oversees staffing plans and reviews work plans and schedules for each phase of a project in accordance with time limitations and funding.
- Represents organization with major customers and stakeholders.
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering; A Master’s degree in Engineering is desired
- A Master’s of Business Administration is highly desired
- 15 years of applicable experience in a product development role;
Leadership – exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyses information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Communication – expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas.
Change Management – develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance’ prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
Teamwork – exhibits objectivity and openness to others; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of organization above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Strategic Thinking – develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; adapts strategy to changing conditions.