Manager, Internal Audit
Job Type: Full-Time (Regular)
Who We Are
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited (“Gateway”) is one of the largest and most diversified gaming companies in Canada. Operating in British Columbia, Edmonton and Ontario, Gateway has over 6,000 employees and operates 25 gaming properties with more than 280 tables, over 9,600 slots, 68 restaurants and bars and 272 hotel rooms. As the selected service provider for the Central Gaming Bundle in Ontario, Gateway will bring two more properties and one new planned build in Wasaga Beach or Collingwood to the Gateway portfolio when fully implemented. A multi-pronged growth strategy has seen Gateway diversify and expand its product offering, including developing proprietary casino and restaurant brands, which has dramatically improved the gaming customer experience while attracting new customers. This includes brands like Match Eatery & Public House, Atlas Steak + Fish and the new Halley’s Club. In 2017, Gateway celebrated 25 years in the business of gaming and entertainment in Canada.
Why Work For Us
Gateway celebrates and empowers those employees who made it all possible. A career at Gateway means great people, a great atmosphere and career advancement opportunities across our 26 locations. Our employees thrive with ongoing training and leadership programs for all while working in an engaging and fun environment. Join us today!
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a self-motivated professional with a high level of integrity to apply his or her strong audit experience within the exciting gaming and entertainment industry.
The Manager, Internal Audit ensures effective planning and execution of compliance, financial, and operational audits and related projects while providing direction and leadership to Internal Audit staff. This position oversees audits to assess adherence to internal controls over regulatory requirements, accuracy of financial records, and efficiency of operations. This role assesses audit irregularities and areas for improvement and works with senior management by recommending improved business practices.
- Develops and maintains the internal casino audit strategy for the business to add value and improve Gateway operations.
- Proactively plans, coordinates, and oversees risk-based audits and takes responsibility for the delivery of the audit results.
- Reviews and appraises the soundness, adequacy, and effectiveness of compliance, financial, and operational controls, and promotes effective controls.
- Ascertains the reliability of information systems examined (input, processing, and output) and ensures that all systems examined comply with relevant regulations, accounting principles, internal controls, and established company policies and procedures.
- Evaluates data compiled during audit projects and reviews reports of conditions found.
- Through audit reviews, identifies areas where risk is outside of acceptable levels and makes recommendations to senior management to address concerns. Monitors to ensure approved action plans are implemented.
- Reviews and recommends improvements and initiatives in developing systems that will generate reports of irregularities to management.
- Leads the Internal Audit staff by coaching, developing, training, and managing the job performance of audit team members.
- Assists the Director with preparation status reports for the Board, management, and external auditors.
- Supports and provides input to an annual ongoing risk assessment process.
- Provides regulatory interpretations and applies accounting, auditing, and regulatory requirements in the casino and corporate environments.
- Leads, manages, and/or performs ad hoc reviews for senior management such as those required to discover mechanics of detected fraud to develop controls for fraud prevention.
- Delivers value added consultancy work to the business (such as due diligence work).
What You’ll Require
- 5 to 7 years of auditing experience; internal audit and/or casino audit experience a requirement.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA) (CPA, CGA) (CPA, CMA) and/or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation.
- The ability to obtain a Gaming and Policy Enforcement Branch License (GPEB).
- Advanced knowledge of financial/managerial control systems, processes, and risk-based internal audit procedures. This includes planning, testing, and sampling methods and an understanding of internal audit requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of casino accounting and auditing principles/standards, regulatory requirements and policies.
- Strong knowledge of risk management frameworks.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent leadership, project management, and time management skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex information into plain language, for reports and presentations.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills to develop solutions for resolving complex problems.
- Ability to provide advice, consult, persuade, negotiate, and influence in order to build consensus and support for recommendations and promote organizational change.
- Ability to demonstrate integrity in the conduct of audits and protect the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Ability to establish, maintain, and manage effective working relationships with staff at all levels of the business, while continuing to maintain independence and objectivity.
- Ability to act with tact, diplomacy, integrity, and professionalism in sensitive situations.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and analyze complex financial and statistical reports and models.
- Proficiency in using computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in a Windows environment.
What Is Next
Love what you see so far? For the best chance to hear from us, apply within 30 days of the posting date.
Not the right fit this time? Follow us on our careers social media pages!