Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited (“Gateway”) is one of the largest and most diversified gaming company in Canada. Operating in British Columbia, Edmonton and Ontario, Gateway has over 6,100 employees and operates 26 gaming properties with 286 tables, over 9,800 slots, 57 restaurants and bars and 272 hotel rooms. As the selected service provider in Northern Ontario, Gateway will undertake two new planned builds in North Bay and Kenora. Gateway is undertaking an ambitious growth strategy to dramatically improve the customer experience and attract new customers. This includes the development of proprietary casino and food and beverage brands like Match Eatery & Public House and Atlas Steak + Fish. This year Gateway is celebrating 25 years in the business of gaming and entertainment in Canada.
Why Work For Us
Gateway celebrates and empowers those employees who made it all possible. A career at Gateway means great people, a great atmosphere and career advancement opportunities across our 26 locations. Our employees thrive with ongoing training and leadership programs for all while working in an engaging and fun environment. Join us today!
Gateway is seeking to hire for two Legal Counsel positions, each based in the company’s corporate headquarters in Burnaby, BC. Reporting to the Vice President, Legal Affairs, each Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing a broad range of legal support across Gateway’s departments and business operations, including corporate/commercial law, corporate transactions, real estate development and leasing, privacy law, regulatory matters, policy and compliance matters, employment law and litigation.
- Negotiate, review and draft a broad range of commercial agreements.
- Provide legal support on corporate transactions.
- Provide legal advice and counsel with respect to Gateway’s various business operations and departments, including casino operations, food and beverage, procurement, property development, marketing and communications, human resources, IT and compliance.
- Manage external counsel in specialty areas of the law.
- Provide ongoing education and training to Gateway’s business teams about legal matters and developments relevant to their departments.
- Serve as Gateway’s corporate privacy officer.
What You’ll Require
- Member of the B.C. bar (or the bar of another Canadian jurisdiction) in good standing with approximately 2-5 years of post-call experience (in-house or private practice)
- Strong background in corporate and commercial law, especially in drafting and reviewing commercial contracts
- Previous experience or exposure to a variety of practice areas is preferred – ie. real estate development and leasing, privacy law, regulatory matters, policy and compliance matters, employment law and litigation.
- Experience working with highly regulated companies is preferred
- Strong ability to advise on the legal risks associated with business operations
- Background of demonstrated ability to balance the provision of legal counsel with the achievement of business objectives
- Excellent verbal, negotiation, interpersonal and drafting skills
- The ability to work on projects as the sole lawyer working within a team of business people
- Willingness to engage in some travel when necessary
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Professionalism, consistency of approach and ability to relate to all levels within the company
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to demonstrate strong work ethic and initiative in a team environment
What Is Next
Love what you see so far? For the best chance to hear from us, apply within 30 days of the posting date.
Not the right fit this time? Follow us on our careers social media pages!