Network Operations Center, Specialist III
The C-Shift NOC Specialist III is an employee of the Metro-E escalation team. Primary responsibility is vendor level break/fix support in a 24/7 environment of Frontier’s Metro Ethernet Network.
In this role, the NOC III Specialist will be responsible for troubleshooting network routers, Ethernet switches and the Metro Ethernet Service to isolate the trouble and take the appropriate action to resolve. The required shift would be between the hours of 11pm and 7am to include 1 weekend day. It requires highly technical skills along with the ability to interact with internal and external customers, vendors, engineers, operations and all levels of management.
Day-to-day work responsibilities:
- Serve as an escalation point within the Advanced IP Services organization supporting the Commercial Customer Support Center and Tier 1 NOC, as well as work with NOC Engineering as required for specific network or equipment issues.
- Isolate, troubleshoot and resolve advanced network issues on Layer 1, layer 2, and layer 3 network devices (Aggregators, ATM switches, Ethernet switches, Routers).
- Work with field technicians and local management to assist in the resolution of equipment or network level outages
- Immediately engage in level 2 and 3 MSI’s to ensure MTTR goals are met.
- Utilize, manage and maintain network and performance monitoring tools to ensure network reliability (i.e. NetCool Suites, NMARS).
- Utilize element management systems (EMS) to manage the network (Nokia SAM).
- Perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for network outages that require details on what caused an outage, what was done to resolve it and what can be done to reduce impact or prevent future occurrences
- Perform and/or support configuration changes and upgrades to network elements carrying customer traffic with as little impact as possible.
- 5 years of network monitoring, support or administration experience
- 4 year degree in Computer Science / Information Technology or equivalent work experience in related field
- Great communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Must be able to work any shift in a 24/7 environment
- Shift work and some holidays are required
Highly desirable experience:
- Experience troubleshooting and maintaining Metro-Ethernet circuits/equipment.
- Deep understanding of Cisco, Juniper and Nokia router architecture.
- Capability to understand and isolate issues supporting both individual Metro-E EVC’s as well as larger network issues impacting multiple EVC’s.
- Experience configuring and supporting DSLAM’s: Adtran/Calix/Nokia/Tellabs
- Ethernet switch experience: Ciena/Nokia/Cisco/RAD/Canoga
- Working knowledge of MPLS networking
- Experience with major Internet protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, PBB, ICMP, MPLS.
- Knowledge of the following networking concepts: OSI model, IP subnetting, DNS, Ethernet, troubleshooting processes, GE/10GE/100GE circuit troubleshooting
- Familiar with network standards protocols and best practices prescribed by ITU, IEEE and MEF.
- Programming and scripting languages
- Telecommunications Network Operations Center
- Planning, engineering, and provisioning
- Project Management
- Any vendor specific certifications (Adtran, Calix, Ciena, etc.)
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.