Senior Merchant, Grocery/Frozen/Dairy -- Foodkick
The Senior Merchant will develop and manage product assortment, placement, pricing, and promotion. He/she will have the responsibility for the full sales, gross margin and establishment of market share within the overall goals set by the company.
The ideal candidate should have a background as a Buyer, Merchant, Ecommerce Merchandiser, or Digital Marketer and must have a passion food, and be analytical, curious and creative.
We are a small, close-knit team that is working hard to make great food easier to get on a moment’s notice. This job will work across 3 locations in Mott Haven (Bronx); East Williamsburg (Brooklyn); and Midtown West (Manhattan).
Above all, the right candidate will be someone who:
- Has a deep passion for food and is interest in learning A TON about grocery and on-demand businesses.
- Has a deep understanding of trends in eating and strong opinions to match
- Is highly organized and able to keep track of dozens of simultaneous projects and work-streams
- Learns new systems and ways of thinking very quickly
- Would love working within a tightly-knit kick-ass team.
- Is eager to work hard (including some weekends/holidays) on building something different and amazing.
- Own the catalog of what we sell within Grocery/Frozen/Dairy catalog, including:
- Launching products in response to customer requests and/or patterns in behavior;
- Sourcing and and onboarding unique and/or exclusive product in key categories;
- Adjusting category item counts to optimize for inventory turnover.
- Develop annual budgets and forecasts for the product catalog and report progress regularly to the Chief Merchant, General Manager, and Chief Growth Officer.
- Develop and maintain a calendar of category marketing activities aimed at driving product/category awareness, trial, and loyalty across all channels (e.g. e-mail, in-bag, in-app, etc.)
- Collaborate with Marketing and Brand Management colleagues to ensure amazing (and timely!) execution of category marketing programs.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors and Freshdirect merchant(s) to develop marketing programs that are unique for Foodkick customers.
- Tracks overall business performance and proactively develops promotional programs to meet volume, sales, and/or gross margin objectives.
- Monitor inventory at out-of-stock levels and coordinates cross-functionally to address out-of-stock and over-stock situations.
- Manage and supervise the work of 1-2 Assistant Merchants.
- 5+ years buying or merchandising role
- 1-2 years of management experience
- Experience managing or marketing a product catalog assortment preferred
- Degree from a 4-year college/university
- You <3 Data x Excel
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Passion for food and/or the grocery industry.
- Knowledge of food trends and food seasonality.
- A bias toward teamwork versus individual contribution.
- A willingness to work hard in return for rapidly increasing responsibility.
- Comfort in a start-up environment, where roles and processes are dynamic.
- The ability to learn very quickly, especially by asking a lot of questions.
- SAP and/or Manhattan WMS knowledge a plus.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Team member(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERS, FoodKick and its affiliates do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (except where gender is a bonafide occupational qualification), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state, or local law.