Operations Manager - FoodKick
We seek a driven, commanding, and kind Outbound Operations Manager to help FoodKick create a world in which extraordinary food can be delivered on demand in as little as an hour.
In 2016, just 1.4% of fast moving consumer goods in the US were bought online. By 2025, this will grow to ~20%, or $100+ billion. The prospect of fast, precise delivery is a key driver of this growth, and we believe that FoodKick will claim the lion’s share of this booming market for two main reasons: (1) our revolutionary warehousing allows us to operate with never-before-seen speed and efficiency, and (2) we share the sourcing, supply chain, and expertise of our parent company, FreshDirect—the country’s original and largest online grocer. By joining FoodKick, you will get not just a front row seat to, but an opportunity to drive and develop a fast-growing company in a burgeoning, fundamental industry.
FoodKick is an innovative warehousing startup that makes extraordinary food deliverable on demand, in as little as an hour.
We believe that fast access to extraordinary food can help people save time and live more vibrant lives. We also believe that every person wants to live authentically as their highest self, to contribute meaningfully through challenging work, and to be appreciated for their efforts and personhood. We honor these worthy desires by nurturing a culture of respect and providing world class training, hospitality, and growth opportunities to employees throughout the company.
We are also aware that while advanced logistics and technology make our world more convenient, we risk losing sight of community and the long-term, global impact of our consumption. No industry is more central to this dilemma than food. So, we have asked ourselves two questions: “Can we deliver extraordinary food on demand in a way that increases not just our customer’s quality of life, but the health of the environment, our community, and the global food economy?” And, “Can we do this in a way that builds community – both inside our facilities and in our customer interactions?” We believe we can. Please join us and help us prove it.
The Outbound Operations Manager
As an Outbound Operations Manager you will be responsible for optimizing the Outbound Team’s daily operations. The Outbound Operations Manager is a demanding position of great responsibility. Outbound is your ship, and you’re the captain. Based on your rigorous understanding of store throughput, complete mastery of all Outbound functions, and intimate knowledge of your team, you will decide how many orders the building fulfills in each delivery window. You will also collaborate with Continuous Improvement, Learning and Development, Plant Leadership, and your associates to improve Outbound processes and drive productivity, quality, and safety. Most importantly, you will develop your staff into conscious, capable leaders, unleashing their potential to contribute not just to FoodKick, but to the world beyond.
Relative to the responsibilities of Team Leaders and Supervisors, those of the Outbound Operations Manager lie more “on” the business than “in” the business. While your Team Leaders and Supervisors might ask, “Are associates packing bags according to process?” you might ask, “Is our packing process the right one, or even necessary?” You then might walk the floor, perform the process, analyze reports, listen to associates, and communicate both intra- and inter-building with other leaders to investigate. In this way, the Outbound Manager drives continuous improvement and fosters the learning culture in which it naturally manifests.
The ideal Outbound Operations Manager embodies a “Servant Leader” mentality. Your primary function is to serve the Outbound team by identifying and removing barriers to its success. To this end, you will draw upon your soft skills in listening, relationship building, and developmental coaching, and your hard skills in process improvement, lean manufacturing, and data analysis. We at FoodKick believe that soft and hard skills are equally essential in leadership, and FoodKick will provide robust opportunities for you to grow both in advanced leadership trainings and through the support of your Site Manager and Senior Director.
- Coach Outbound Associates, Team Leaders, and Supervisors with a spirit of developing them into conscious, empowered leaders and savvy business thinkers
- Build trusting relationships with associates, plant management, and corporate leadership
- Ensure accurate payment of all hourly employees with weekly timesheet reviews
- Issue high level disciplinary actions as needed per FoodKick Policy, collaborating with Supervisors and HR
- Direct team huddles to build morale and educate staff on business goings-on
- Interview all potential hires for the plant, and make or participate in all outbound hiring decisions
- Attend, and sometimes conduct, daily and weekly meetings to ensure cross-functional alignment
- Own the Outbound Labor Plan: calculate labor needs based on throughput and the 4-week forecast, including temp labor requests
- Own Outbound Lean Manufacturing and Visual Management (5S), collaborating with L&D, all plant leadership, and Continuous Improvement
- Own all Outbound process improvements (Kaizen and Kaikaku), delegating tasks as needed to Supervisors and Team Leaders, to drive productivity, quality, and safety
- Consult on Inbound process improvements that effect outbound operations
- Consult Site Manager on all building-wide improvements: tech, materials, machines, layout
- Manage intra-day throughput by monitoring by using FoodKick’s logistics software and Outbound reports
- Perform all outbound functions as needed at an expert level
- Perform regular Outbound quality and safety audits
- Complete End of Shift (EOS) report that provides a narrative summary of the shift with input from Team Leaders and Supervisors
- Office supplies and maintenance
- Oversee ordering and maintaining of supplies for Outbound, collaborating with Site Manager
- Minimum of 4 yrs experience working in a warehouse, manufacturing, or food processing environment
- Minimum of 2 yrs experience in a leadership role
- Comfort with algebra and advanced data analysis
- Demonstrated advanced leadership ability and emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated advanced listening skills and ability to give feedback firmly and compassionately
- Eagerness to grow personally and professionally
- Expert ability in all outbound functions
- Functional ability in all inbound functions
- Ability to speak, write, and comprehend English
- Ability to work weekends (both Saturday and Sunday)
- Ability to cover shifts as needed and within reason, according to business needs
- Ability to work part of the day in a cold climate (32 to 38 degrees)
- Ability to twist, bend, stand, or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs repeatedly
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Strong knowledge of SAP, ERP, CRM
An Outstanding Communicator – You are clear and persuasive in writing and speech.
A Strategic Thinker – You can “see” not just the state of the business as it currently is, but as it could be. You can define clear objectives and develop action plans.
An Open Listener - You listen receptively and dialogue collaboratively, especially when others are being frustrating. You seek first to understand and then to be understood.
Growth Oriented – You are a committed lifelong learner. You love improving yourself, and you love seeing and growing others’ untapped potential.
Compassionate -- You see people as people, and you are kind even when you are giving feedback.
Receptive to Feedback – You gracefully receive the feedback of others. You get that others both up and down the chain of command can help you see your blind spots.
FreshDirect (and by extension, FoodKick) is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are proud to serve a diverse customer base and to work with a diverse, inclusive team. Consistent with this, FreshDirect evaluates applicants based on their experience and qualifications relative to job requirements and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or on any other basis prohibited by law.