Maintenance Worker 1
In this very important role, our Maintenance Helper is responsible for performing a wide variety of maintenance tasks associated with the care of cemetery grounds and facilities. Will work under direct supervision, may work individually or with a team of employees. Duties are typical grounds maintenance functions found in any large-scale municipal park or garden. Much of the work will be performed with hand tools and as experience allows, equipment operation will be included in duties.
This is an entry-level position and candidates for this position can expect to receive much of their training on the job. Some of the duties include:
- General grounds clean-up and trash disposal.
- Cleaning and maintenance of storm drains.
- Repairing lawn damage.
- Mowing of section and garden lawns.
- Trimming memorial tablets.
- Replanting landscapes.
- Applying landscape chemicals such as fertilizers, wetting agents, herbicides.
- Assisting client families and other guests with grounds maintenance requests.
- Operating specialized equipment to move materials.
- Assist in completing interments.
- Assist in set-up and clean-up before and after special events.
- Installing tents for funeral services.
- Minimum of 6 months maintenance experience; previous cemetery/Mortuary experience is a plus.
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.
- Must have a caring and professional demeanor and enjoy helping families at a difficult time.
- Must be able to work some weekends and holidays.
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Free Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Vision Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Cash Balance Retirement Plan
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation
Forest Lawn will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.