Head of Compliance
Fintrax is seeking recruit a Head of Compliance. The business is going through a period of change and investment in people, process and infrastructure.
The sectors we operate in stay still for no one – they believe that a solid base for growth is required for the business to be able to take advantage of the undeniable market opportunity they are presented with.
Compliance is central to the future success of the business and the Fintrax Group is looking to achieve a shift in emphasis in their approach to Compliance and regulatory risk to a more holistic and broad based approach across several entities and business activities.
The Head of Compliance is a key member of the Group’s management team in supporting the development of a consistently evolving business.
The successful individual will support the Chief Risk Officer and Executive Management Team in ensuring the group is protected from regulatory censure and is not used as a vessel for financial crime, terrorist financing, bribery and corruption.
The Head of Compliance will be expected to engage across the business directly and via the wider Compliance function, building relationships with key internal stakeholders and provide assurance that the regulatory and wider risk agenda is being effectively managed throughout Fintrax.
The successful candidate will be the Group’s Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) and ultimately responsible for the Group’s relationship with any and all regulators, implementation of a robust AML framework, ensuring full compliance with the various AML regulations including provision of staff training and guidance, ensuring robust KYC procedures are in place and establishing compliance with counter-terrorist financing related legislation worldwide.
The role is extremely varied and there is an expectation the successful candidate will represent the Group at regulatory meetings and / or conferences as applicable.
Key Responsibilities / Purpose
• To drive the development of an independent 2nd Line of Defence Compliance function that fits into the group’s overall Risk Management Framework and play a key role in the identification and management of regulatory risk on behalf of the Group;
• Act as he final decision maker in relation to reporting suspicious activity to the various financial intelligent agencies as determined by the licenses for which you will act as MLRO;
• Report monthly to the Executive Management Team and quarterly to the Group Audit and Risk Committee and other stakeholders on the results of risk assessment and the development of the Group’s risk profile;
• Act as the single point of contact for regulatory risk and Compliance related matters to the FCA, Card Schemes, law enforcement and other agencies;
• To define, develop and refine an independent Compliance monitoring program which will complement the Groups Internal Audit reporting activity;
• Liaise with the wider Risk team, Internal Audit, Finance and Operations as required; and
• Working under the direction of the Chief Risk Office to ensure risk management continues to be a part of the DNA of the business – embedding a positive culture of confident and informed risk taking through training, communication and promotion of the agreed risk framework.
Key Attributes and Skills
Cultural and personality fit will be crucial. Strong personal presence and leadership style combined with a confident and hard-working approach are critical to the success of this role.
The appointed candidate must be technically capable, commercially astute and possess the ability to inspire and influence people at all levels. They will be highly analytical with strong attention to detail.
The successful candidate will not only be highly motivated and solutions oriented, they must also exhibit high levels of honesty and integrity. They will be resilient and able to manage multiple and conflicting demands while maintaining high personal performance. They will be willing to challenge the Executive Management Team on key decisions as appropriate. Candidates must be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in and passion for the business.
The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrable track record of success as a Compliance professional in a financial services business of scale and complexity with experience in establishing an independent Compliance function with full responsibility for all financial crime, counter terrorist financing, bribery and corruption controls, policy and procedures.
In addition to being a self-starting yet naturally organised individual, with good emotional intelligence, the new Head of Compliance will have:
• Strong academic record to degree level supported by any relevant sector related and / or professional qualifications;
• Appropriate level of knowledge and experience of best practice risk management and governance frameworks and methodologies;
• Experience of working in Payments, is a pre-requisite
• Ability to act as a ‘business partner’ to the organisation and not purely fulfil a box ticking mandate; the ability to provide strategic, analytical and business support;
• Excellent communication skills with the credibility to gain respect internally and, to the extent appropriate to the role, externally with people at all levels;
• 8+ Years of previous experience at senior management level or above working with AML / CTF regulations;
• Demonstrable experience of implementing a financial crime framework / approach within a large organisation
• Up to date knowledge of AML legislation (including detailed knowledge of MLD4) and its implications in the EEA;
• Experience of providing financial crime training and education in a large multi-jurisdictional organisation;
• Excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills;
• Experience of working with regulators, external auditors and inspectors
• Experience of interpreting and applying legislation within a company context;
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
• Experience of dealing with board and top level management,
• Ability to make quick and effective decisions;
• Professional qualification and evidence of ongoing CPD
• Excellent planning and organisation skills;
• Self motivated, ability to manage self and others tasks to meet the required deadlines;
• Experience of management reporting, investigation and / or auditing; and
• Previous experience of managing a team, team leadership, mentoring and training of staff.