Manager, Communication - Donor Partnership (Chicago/Hybrid)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Learn more about Feeding America here.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s new office location in the heart of downtown Chicago. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2-3 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.The Opportunity
The Manager, Communication - Donor Partnership will manage donor marketing communication efforts and oversee content development using a consistent organizational voice and visuals, in order to amplify donor campaigns and strategies in support of Feeding America’s mission.
Salary: $67,000 - $85,000+ Based on Experience
- In partnership with Development and Supply Chain teams, oversee communications for a portfolio of donors across all donor recognition levels.
- Develop and execute comprehensive communication strategies and implement tactics to build awareness, consideration and engagement with donor campaigns and strategies.
- Draft external facing communication assets, including press releases, key messages, website content and customizable toolkit materials for food banks’ use, with a consistent brand “voice” reflective of Feeding America.
- Assist with finalizing marketing communication content for donor campaigns and strategies.
- Consult and/or liaise on all donor communication efforts, including media relations, entertainment industry and digital outreach, with colleagues on the Communication and Marketing teams.
- Prepare briefs, fact sheets, talking points or other materials for Feeding America executive leadership in support of external donor communications.
- Assist in the development of long-range marketing communication strategies for Feeding America and support organization’s objectives to generate greater awareness for the issue of food insecurity and, through partnerships, to help ensure equitable access to nutritious food for all in our country.
- Collaborate with member food banks on media outreach activities, story development, local activation strategies and event planning.
- Serve as a communication liaison for various organization projects that support Feeding America’s mission.
- 5+ years professional communications experience; nonprofit or PR agency experience is a plus.
- Superb editing and proofing skills; excellent oral & written communication skills, specifically for interacting with donor communities, national organization staff, network members, and senior management.
- Desire to work in a creative environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Understanding of social media platforms.
- Mission Focused: Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through work and action. Is committed to people keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different background and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Uses advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Takes initiative to stay current and apply knowledge of own field, including to improve processes, practices, and policies. Regularly offers to share functional expertise with others to help them succeed.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally: Forms and sustains effective working relationships that accelerate goal achievement by reaching out to and engaging people from other functions or from outside the organization. Coordinates projects and plans with others within and outside of own area to ensure the work goes smoothly. Pursues networking opportunities and encourages others to form new relationships that benefit all parties. Handles conflict directly and adeptly, respecting all points of view, and resolves issues to create a united path forward.
- Understands our Business: Uses knowledge of how Feeding America and the not-for-profit services industry work to navigate the organization and get things done. Operates with an awareness of interdependencies between own department/team and others in the organization. Maintains knowledge of, and relationships with, key stakeholders external to the department.
- Inspires, Motivates and Influences Others: Creates an environment where people feel positive about the organization, colleagues, and the mission. Identifies and recognizes good performance. Shares credit for team accomplishments and sincerely thanks others for their contributions. Influences decisions by presenting a logical and compelling case.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Constructs project plans aligned with organization and department strategies and priorities. Makes data- and fact-based decisions aligned with department and organizational strategy. Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy.