Director, Direct Marketing Fundraising Services
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Director, Direct Marketing Fundraising Services will lead Feeding America’s efforts to provide marketing-focused fundraising capacity-building services to network members leveraging Feeding America’s well-developed suite of marketing and fundraising strategies, programs and tools. Situated within Feeding America’s Network Engagement department and partnering closely with Development, Marketing & Communications, and Network Data & Analytics, this role will lead and launch Network Fundraising Services’ marketing-focused fundraising efforts of all types, with a specialized focus on digital fundraising. As individual giving continues to grow and be a source of great opportunity for food banks, this role will focus on building new tools and resources to enhance members’ ability to retain donors and acquire new supporters in a rapidly evolving philanthropic landscape.
- Operationalize our strategy to build fundraising capacity at member food banks with a focus on digital marketing. Develop and implement processes and tools for Network Fundraising Services’ marketing-focused fundraising services designed to support food bank fundraising staff. Marketing-focused fundraising services will address a wide variety of strategies and tactics that food banks use to engage, solicit and steward donors, including: E-mail Fundraising; Direct Mail; Paid search and social marketing; Peer-to-Peer Fundraising; and more.
- Partner closely with peers on Feeding America’s Marketing & Communications team around direct response services such as those focused on digital donor engagement and direct mail programs.
- Actively engage in evolving trends and practices around effective digital and direct mail fundraising. Ensure key lessons from Feeding America’s direct marketing fundraising experience and national data are reflected in tools and services provided to network members.
- Create data management strategies to guide the National Organization’s marketing-focused fundraising services work and hone these strategies over time to ensure their effectiveness in supporting network members; create and implement processes for collecting, analyzing, and presenting data for direct marketing and other marketing-focused fundraising programs through Network Fundraising Services customized services, including Development Assessments, Major Gifts Plans, Fundraising Planning Institutes and other support services to be developed.
- Assess and implement increasingly sophisticated data analysis tools to result in deeper, more actionable insights related to direct marketing fundraising programs at member food banks. Tools will include, for instance, donor segmentation and predictive modeling tools.
- Lead data analysis and initial insight development for use in direct marketing and other marketing-focused fundraising programs in large-scale, collaborative projects, such as potential statewide and regional campaigns.
- Develop, direct, and implement services for network members that will help grow their ability to raise funds locally over the immediate and long-term in direct marketing and other marketing-focused fundraising programs, such as fundraising learning programs, capacity institutes, webinars, sample materials, tools, best practices, etc.
- Function as fundraising consultant and expert guide capable of providing high-level strategic fundraising guidance and advice suitable to the variety of marketing-focused fundraising programs in the Feeding America network.
- Lead the impact tracking and reporting for NFS in relation to direct marketing and other marketing-focused fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with Managing Director, FANO development colleagues, and network fundraising leaders to identify network needs, craft content, and deliver trainings in person and electronically.
- Work with Network Data & Analytics team to implement fundraising data collection and analysis methods that shows the network’s financial progress toward fundraising goals as well as increasing fundraising program strength and proficiency across the network in relation to direct marketing fundraising programs.
- Design ad hoc reports and other materials to address network members’ questions.
- BA/BS or relevant experience
- 8+ years of experience in direct marketing
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different backgrounds and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Fosters innovation and continuous improvement - Develops projects and solutions that incorporate new ideas, innovative solutions and best practices. Leverages continuous improvement tools and mindset when designing and implementing projects and processes. Committed to team and personal learning.
- Leverages Functional Expertise – Leverages deep knowledge of industry and function to shape operational decisions and project plans. Uses prior technical experience to improve processes and procedures within the organization. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Understands our business - Understands operation of own department within the broader context of Feeding America’s mission and strategy. Actively develops a knowledge of, and relationships with, key stakeholders external to the department.
- Communicates Effectively – Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and large audience settings.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally – Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Collaborates and models positive engagement resolving issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
Required Technical Competencies and Experience
- Experience in managing staff and planning and prioritizing department activities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and comfort with public speaking.
- Demonstrated data analytics and problem-solving experience.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Comfort with travel and working while away from Feeding America’s national office.
- Knowledge of food banking as a distinct subset of the non-profit sector preferred.
Feeding America, embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.