Manager, Advocacy (Two Positions Available)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Government Relations Team advances a policy agenda that increases both private and government food and funds for network food bank members, leads to federal regulations and laws that support reducing domestic hunger, and positions Feeding America as the leading authority on hunger and hunger-related issues. The position builds advocacy capacity and engagement among network food bank members and the people we serve, manages legislative advocacy campaigns, and supports growing the number of digital advocates. There are two positions available: one position will focus on continuing to grow our digital advocacy programs, and one position will focus on building out an advocacy program for the people we serve.
Salary Range: $66,000 to $85,000+ Based on Experience
- Manage the development and implementation of advocacy strategies and work directly with network members to advance Feeding America’s public policy and legislative agenda.
- Manage the development and execution of advocacy programs that lift up the voices of the people we serve, including through civic engagement projects and community organizing.
- Manage the development and execution of Feeding America’s member advocacy capacity strategy, develop and implement advocacy trainings, and provide technical assistance to build members’ advocacy skills and engagement.
- Manage the day-to-day needs of a growing digital advocacy program, including the advocacy email, SMS, social media, and FeedingAmericaAction.org channels. Coordinate externally with vendors and partners and internally with digital marketing teams.
- Manage the gathering advocacy best practices gathering and sharing across the network to improve and advance advocacy strategies and tactics.
- Manage advocacy tracking of network members to help the network better understand how well we’re leveraging our voices with lawmakers and the public and improve our technical assistance and resource creation support.
- Manage advocacy grants as needed while providing support in the evaluation and management of member advocacy grants.
- Collaborate with appropriate internal stakeholders enterprise-wide to ensure policy positions and initiatives are integrated into cross-programmatic strategies and projects.
- Act as a liaison for Feeding America’s Government Relations department during internal and external conference advocacy sessions and cross-enterprise task forces as needed.
- Provides counsel to VP of Advocacy and Director of Advocacy & External Affairs on advocacy organizing and civic engagement strategies and learnings to help improve the program.
- Travel: a few trips annually.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and throughout the community.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Continuously Improves: Analyzes current practices, policies, and procedures to find areas for improvement and incorporate best practices. Leverages continuous improvement tools and mindset when designing and implementing projects and processes. Committed to team and personal learning.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports. collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- BA/BS in communications, government affairs, marketing, political science, public policy, sociology or social work strongly preferred.
- Five plus years experience in issue advocacy, grassroots mobilization, external affairs or issue campaigns required.
- Experience with CRMs (particularly EveryAction, Salesforce, Quorum), using social media platforms for advocacy engagement required.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.