Planning & Performance Manager
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Planning & Performance Manager advances Feeding America’s work to end hunger in America by supporting annual and multiyear planning processes and by tracking and reporting on performance against plan. This role works closely with all Feeding America National Office (FANO) departments and member food banks to develop strategies and plans to advance organizational priorities. As a component of performance reporting, the Manager also supports implementation of the organizational outcomes measurement framework and reporting on progress against outcomes for people facing hunger. The ideal candidate for this role is results-oriented and data-driven, with strong facilitation and coaching skills. This role reports to the Managing Director Strategic Planning and is based in Chicago.
- Supports Managing Director Strategic Planning and VP Budgeting & Reporting in design and execution of Feeding America National Office (FANO) annual and multiyear planning processes, including facilitating working sessions to incorporate input from multiple FANO departments, staff at all levels, and member food banks.
- Works with department and initiative leaders to develop and strengthen annual and multiyear plans to advance organizational goals; provides expertise and coaching in strategy development, driving to greater clarity and alignment.
- Supports design and facilitation of new process with national office and member food bank leaders to build Strategic Plan for collective Feeding America network.
- Curates and updates resources for staff and member food banks with details on annual and multiyear plans.
- Analyzes external trends and insights to determine impact to strategy and plans; provides modeling and scenario planning expertise.
- In collaboration with Strategic Capacity Development team, supports building reference resources / tools for member food banks related to Strategic Planning processes.
- Supports reviewing projects submitted to organization’s stage-gate Project Development Process, asking critical questions to ensure they are advancing organizational priorities and outcomes .
- Supports implementation and refinement of organizational outcomes measurement framework by tracking/maintaining detailed implementation plans for key measures (e.g., baseline data collection status, target-setting status) in collaboration with cross-functional data/measure owners .
- Works with Data & Analytics, Research, Finance, Initiative leads to manage systematized progress tracking against outcomes measures and other KPIs in dashboards / reports for different audiences.
- As part of planning processes, supports teams in developing and holding accountability to individual and team performance measures and targets that ladder up to organizational outcomes framework through facilitated sessions and reference materials.
- Participates in design and facilitation of member food bank meetings and learning conferences related to outcomes measurement; captures insights and develops collateral to share learnings across members.
- Collaborates with Research, Strategic Capacity Development team, Data & Analytics, and member food banks to synthesize needs and build roadmap of activities that will support members in measuring outcomes.
- Develops strategic planning communications for board, staff, Executive Team, Senior Leadership groups, and member food banks.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on Feeding America National Office’s strategy, outcomes, and priorities; updating internal and external collateral and speaking at member food bank learning conferences and staff, partner, donor meetings, as needed.
- 5+ years of increasingly responsible positions in finance, strategic planning, program management, or other relevant field
- BA/BS required or relevant work experience
- Advanced degree preferred
- Committed to organizational mission to create a hunger-free America and interest in building a career at one of the nation’s leading non-profit organizations.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – Committed to a workplace that values different background and life experiences and allows everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Builds equity into structures, systems and processes for our employees and the communities we serve.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Translates Strategy into Operational Goals: Supports teams in developing concrete, actionable plans with measurable goals.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Servant leader who builds effective working relationships and anticipates needs across the organization.
- Communicates Effectively: Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to translate detailed analyses into executive-level insights.
- Drives Change: Inspires others to be more data-driven and develop bold, long-term plans to meet the needs of people facing hunger.
Required Technical Competencies and Experience
- Extensive meeting facilitation experience and demonstrated ability to drive collaboration and aligned action among different stakeholders.
- Experience coaching and motivating colleagues, and influencing senior leadership.
- Experience navigating ambiguity and managing complex projects (e.g., management consulting experience).
- Self-starter; works independently and proactively to advance deliverables and resolve issues.
- Advanced data management, modeling, and analysis skills; ability to synthesize complex concepts / measures into simple dashboards and reports.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects against critical project timelines in a fast-paced, highly interactive environment.
- Strategic thinker with ability to see the big picture and understand the perspective of multiple functions, including how decisions affect the long-term and short-term outcomes of projects.
- Prior experience with strategy development, planning, outcomes measurement, or program evaluation preferred.
- Handles confidential matters and sensitive information or situations with discretion.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications and collaboration tools (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel, Sharepoint).
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.