Manager, Data Governance
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Responsible for executing data governance activities to ensure critical organizational data is understood, accurate, and trusted. The Manager, Data Governance collaborates with resources across the organization to establish consistent data governance practices and policies and drive Feeding America’s data governance program in conjunction with the implementation of the enterprise data warehouse.
Salary Range: $80,000 to $95,000+ Based on Experience
- Establish and maintain relationships across departments and within the Technology team to understand strategic priorities and identify opportunities to deliver trusted data as needed.
- Help define the data management vision and identify opportunities and processes to ensure Feeding America’s data is accurate, reliable, accessible, and secure.
- Collaborate across the organization to plan and establish guidance and overall standards for how data is managed.
- Consult with the business on data standards, business processes and operational procedures associated with data governance best practices.
- Identify and implement processes to ensure critical data is understood. Ensure relevant information for data is documented and accessible.
- Help establish and run organization-wide Data Governance Council
- Help establish and run the Data Governance Office as the implementation arm of the Data Governance Council
- Leverage and influence enterprise tools to support data governance activities. Oversee and advise on configuration and utilization by providing direction to implement and maintain a robust design that supports business needs.
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the organization’s data assets.
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
- Drive data quality.
- Establish processes to profile, validate, and assess relevant data to improve reliability.
- Define and implement standards and metrics to report data quality.
- Serve as a point of escalation for high-impact data governance and data quality issues. Work closely with the data solutions team and data stewards/owners to apply technical (product) capabilities to solve business data issues.
- Provide education and awareness to data stewards and other stakeholders. Responsible for establishing roles and responsibilities for stewards and other stakeholders.
- Establish and manage effective Data Governance Center of Excellence.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Sets clear goals focused on measurable results and holds self and others accountable for delivering against agreed upon goals. Maintains high standards for self and others and provides supportive coaching and direct feedback.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
- Working knowledge of data management, data quality, and reporting tools/applications.
- Tried and tested experience effectively gathering requirements from business users and translating into data governance practices.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify and quantify business risks associated with data quality issues.
- Ability to plan processes and work across broad, diverse groups to assure work is completed in a timely manner.
- Experience with Master Data Management (MDM), Governance, and Data Catalog software, experience with Informatica Data Governance suite a plus.
- Working knowledge of project management principles including a demonstrated understanding of project lifecycles and Agile project management activities. Working knowledge of process design and re-engineering.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.