Director, Donor Partnership Communication (Chicago/Hybrid)
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Learn more about Feeding America here.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s new office location in the heart of downtown Chicago. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2-3 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.
The Director, Donor Partnership Communication will lead the development and implementation of communication strategies to support Feeding America’s food and funds donors with a focus on advancing relationships and showcasing corporate leadership in the fight against hunger in America, with both internal (food bank members, various organizational functions and organization leadership) and external audiences (media, industry thought leaders).
Salary Range: $103,000 to $130,000+ Based on Experience
- Oversee Feeding America’s communication function for food and fund donor campaigns and strategies, including oversight/consultation of communication staff supporting Development and Food Sourcing relationships managers. Maintain working knowledge of all active donor campaigns.
- Develop and execute comprehensive communication strategies for donors, with a greater direct focus on Visionary and Leadership Corporate Partners, which are aligned with donors’ philanthropic, business and communication objectives and support Feeding America’s outcomes of increasing public awareness for hunger and engagement with our brand.
- Identify and foster strategic donor-organization linkages to sustain stronger partner relationships.
- Advance Feeding America’s brand awareness among the public by optimizing communication channels and strategically positioning donor partnerships for maximum external coverage.
- Consult and/or liaise with colleagues in the Marketing and Communications departments on donor activations, including digital, brand, media relations and entertainment industry outreach, as well as directly with network food bank members.
- Prepare briefs, fact sheets, talking points and other communication support materials for executive leadership and donor media relations.
- Oversee the development and execution of long-range donor communication plans on an annual basis, with donors and professional agencies.
- Serve as the communication counsel to other integrated account management teams for Visionary, Leadership, Mission, Guiding and Supporting Partners. Help direct communication efforts and related resources.
- Prepare media resources to promote partner announcements, activities and programs in seamless coordination with media relations and internal partnership teams for each account.
- Actively consult and, as needed, partner in execution with network members on media outreach activities, story development, local activation strategies and event planning.
- Provide cross-functional ideation for Feeding America’s emerging work and new business acquisition.
- Serve as national Feeding America spokesperson, representing the organization in local and national press (print, online and broadcast outlets).
- 7-10+ years professional experience in communication for a major human service organization, public relations firm or major corporation; proven success managing a team.
- Superb oral and written communication skills, specifically for interacting with the media, donors, the general public, network members, community groups and senior management.
- Strong ability to prioritize while managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ensure work product confidentiality for various campaigns’ distinct and strategic components.
- Proficient in MS Office. SharePoint experience preferred but not required. Understanding of social media platforms.
- Mission Focused: Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through work and action. Is committed to people keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different background and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Holds self and team accountable for achieving measurable goals and ensures people know what to do to optimize resources and deliver strong results. Constructs executable project plans and allocates time and resources necessary to implement priorities. Evaluates total impact of solutions to mitigate future problems and swiftly identifies and breaks down barriers to achieving results. Monitors and reports strategic progress to all levels in the organization. Provides supportive, direct feedback and addresses poor performance quickly, giving specific suggestions for improving performance. Trusts others to do their jobs and assigns clear accountability and decision making with appropriate authority.
- Coaches and Develops Talent and Teams: Regularly allocates time to developing people and teams, including building direct reports’ mentoring and coaching skills. Seeks opportunities to place, stretch, grow, and promote talent. Provides specific, behavioral feedback to direct reports and others throughout the year so they know what to keep doing and how they can improve. Ensures employees have on-the-job opportunities to use skills acquired via developmental activities. Actively participates in recruiting, performance, development, and compensation decisions for direct reports.
- Drives Change: Acts as a change agent and keeps change moving forward, even when difficult. Engages others in achieving change by clearly defining their roles for implementing and embedding the change and holds them accountable for following through. Taps stakeholders with formal and informal influence to assist in planning, creating, communicating, and embedding the change. Identifies barriers to change, such as alignment of structures, systems, and processes, and contributes to addressing and overcoming the barriers.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally: Leads cross-functional work groups and is regularly sought out to work collaboratively on problem-solving teams. Networks and fosters relationships with external partners to achieve long-term mutually beneficial outcomes. Promotes constructive conversations that challenge ideas and consider alternative points of view about issues and options. Models positive engagement in resolving conflict and elevates a focus on mission and what is best for the people we serve. Avoids finger-pointing and preserves others’ reputations, even in challenging situations.
- Inspires, Motivates and Influences Others: Shows passion for our mission in a way that energizes and engages others to personally do more toward ending hunger. Finds creative ways to engage and excite staff, food bank members, donors, and other key stakeholders to act upon our mission to end hunger. Sincerely thanks people at all levels of the organization for their contributions and provides them with specific feedback about good work. Garners support and influences others by adapting approach and messages aligned to audiences’ concerns.