Junior Data Scientist
All of our work in Data Science is directed at building software solutions that enhance the marketing activity of the company by using machine learning and advanced statistical methods. This means understanding the customer, figuring out whom they are, what they want and how to get their attention. Critically, we build systems that do this autonomously.
About the role:
As a fast-growing fashion e-commerce business and one of the UK’s most valuable startups, harnessing the value of the data generated by our operations is critical to Farfetch’s future success. The data science group are at the forefront of this effort.
This is a unique opportunity to join a team of experts in engineering, machine learning and statistics building services that provides the foundation for several of our most important, publicly visible business initiatives. You will help to monitor and maintain the quality of the system, whilst also learning and applying machine learning skills to complex problems within the project. Moreover, you’ll be an active participant across the whole of the UK data science team, providing your knowledge and expertise in support of all of our initiatives.
What you’ll do:
- You will develop machine learning models that provide measurable value to the company.
- You will put these models into production, writing production quality code, following best practice techniques, such as test-driven development, code reviews and continuous integration.
- You will help to monitor and maintain the quality of the machine learning systems in production.
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics or Statistics.
- You have a strong passion to learn advanced techniques from machine learning and statistics and how to apply them in a business setting, such as Bayesian statistics, neural networks and reinforcement learning.
- You have some programming experience would be preferable, either during your studies or in personal projects. The desire to learn to write code to a production level quality is a must.
- You are a pragmatic mindset with a keen eye for detail and a desire to solve complex problems.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset. Figuring out how to improve business processes and find opportunities to apply data science techniques to real problems is as exciting to you as solving them.
- You have a keen desire to research, develop and implement world-leading solutions to problems. We want you to go beyond the easy, obvious answers to find the best one possible and then figure out how to make it a reality!
- You have outstanding communication skills. You’ll be comfortable taking complex ideas and communicating them to different audiences.
- You have a willingness to make occasional trips to our engineering offices in Portugal.
- You have familiarity with the following technologies would be a plus, Tensorflow, Python, Hadoop, SQL.
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.