Software Engineer - Data
Farfetch is unlike anything in the world of fashion and technology.
We have rapidly grown into a truly global company since our launch in 2008 and we’re continuing to grow. Our family now includes partner boutiques and brands across Europe, North and South America and Asia; we demonstrate our ‘Think Global’ value in everything we do.
We are a global team of over 1,500 people and have offices based in London, New York, L.A., Porto, Guimaraes, Lisbon, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Moscow, Hong Kong & Tokyo.
We are a company with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative culture. We are positive, passionate and live our values: Be Human, Be Brilliant, Todos Juntos, Be Revolutionary, Think Global and Amaze Customers day to day.
Farfetch’s Data Teams are focused on everything related to data. Their main purpose is to harness the power of Farfetch’s data to deliver insights and reports that support business decisions and also analyze and discover new ways to amaze our customers. These teams cover multiple areas related to data, such as Business Intelligence, Software and Data Engineering, Data Science and Data Analytics.
You will get a chance to work in an innovative Big Data environment building large scale data pipelines with a significant focus on messaging patterns. The data from these pipelines is crucial for business analytics and data science.
You will enroll in the Messaging team and work closely together with the DataAPI teams and the Big Data teams.
What you'll do:
- Design and build data pipelines that will stream and process operational events from Farfetch's micro-services and store them in Farfetch's Data Lake.
- Work on software engineering challenges that arise from Farfetch's scale and data growth.
- Work with state-of-the-art data frameworks and technologies like Spark (Streaming), Kafka, HBase and Hadoop.
- Research and develop new software and technologies related to data processing.
- Work cross functionally with various engineering teams, gathering requirements, specifying data contracts and creating solutions that move large volumes of data.
Who you are:
- A professional with a Computer engineering background.
- A professional with strong aptitude for learning new data technologies and willing to work in the Big Data field.
- Someone with at least 2 years of experience in software development in data related fields. Java, Scala or Python experience is a plus.
- Experienced with data processing frameworks like Apache NiFi, Apache Storm, Apache Spark or Apache Camel or Apache Flink (a major plus).
- Knowledgeable of relational and non-relational databases and ability to write SQL.
- Knowledgeable of messaging platforms like RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka, ZeroMQ.
- A professional with a DevOps mindset - ready to deliver and maintain production grade solutions.
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.