Data Engineer - Performance
Farfetch is unlike anything in the world of fashion and technology.
We have rapidly grown into a truly global company since our launch in 2008 and we’re continuing to grow. Our family now includes partner boutiques and brands across Europe, North and South America and Asia; we demonstrate our ‘Think Global’ value in everything we do.
We are a global team of over 1,500 people and have offices based in London, New York, L.A., Porto, Guimaraes, Lisbon, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Moscow, Hong Kong & Tokyo.
We are a company with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative culture. We are positive, passionate and live our values: Be Human, Be Brilliant, Todos Juntos, Be Revolutionary, Think Global and Amaze Customers day to day.
Farfetch’s Data Teams are focused on everything related to data. Their main purpose is to harness the power of Farfetch’s data to deliver insights and reports that support business decisions and also analyze and discover new ways to amaze our customers. These teams cover multiple areas related to data, such as Business Intelligence, Software and Data Engineering, Data Science and Data Analytics.
Farfetch needs a Data Engineer to focus on the performance and availability of our company wide Business Intelligence and Big Data Analytics solutions.
What you’ll do
- You will be a part of the team that makes sure that the data processing infrastructure that supports Farfetch’s Business Intelligence is able to fulfil the needs of our business users.
- You will be involved in the design and development of the large scale data processing computations, be it batch, streaming or ad-hoc queries. Specifically, you will be in charge of optimizing performance and mitigating performance issues that might arise.
- You will also be involved in the optimization and fine tuning of the data infrastructure, making sure that it is able to handle Farfetch’s data processing needs.
- You will be expected to research new software and technologies related to data processing to solve data engineering challenges that arise from Farfetch’s exponential data growth.
- You will be a part of a highly technical cross functional group with experience on Business Intelligence, Big Data, Data Analytics and Data science.
Because we believe in using the right tool for the right job, our technology stack is very heterogeneous, and you will be challenged with problems on various platforms: Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Data Warehouse and Hadoop, just to name a few.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong SQL knowledge, with at least 3 years experience in SQL development.
- Ability to develop and optimize SQL queries for a high concurrency/large dataset environment.
- Strong knowledge about database administration and tuning and query optimization.
- Experience with petabyte scale query engines such as Azure SQL DataWarehouse, Big Query, Hive or Presto (major plus).
- Experience with Looker (major plus).
- Experience with other analytics tools such as Power BI, Tableau, QlikView, etc (a plus).
- Computer engineering background.
- Strong aptitude for learning new data technologies and willing to work in the Data field.
- DevOps mindset - ready to deliver and maintain production grade solutions.
- Experience with Linux and comfortable on the command line.
- Past participation in open source Data Science, Big Data and Business Intelligence related projects (a plus).
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.