Lead Data Scientist - Experimentation
Our world class Product team is responsible for our customer’s journey through our platforms. Developing our website, mobile app and back office systems, they help to create the iconic ‘Farfetch’ look and feel, and champion our customers by designing impactful products and loveable experiences that satisfy their wants & needs.
They are true ambassadors of our business and ensure that we are at the forefront of the latest technology while demonstrating our ‘Be Revolutionary’ value. The Product teams are based across our offices in London, Porto and Lisbon, and so living our ‘Todos Juntos’ and ‘Think Global’ values are really important to how we succeed together.
About the role:
We are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to help shape our new Experimentation centre of excellence and develop our Personalisation and Inspiration agenda across the platform. We already have advanced experimentation going on across Farfetch, but this role will be instrumental in us scaling up and making it world class. You will be someone with deep expertise in large-scale digital experimentation, including a strong grasp of concepts such as multivariate hypothesis testing, experimental design for optimization and Bayesian statistics. Online learning is a huge plus.
In the role, you will be part of and work closely with a cross-functional team consisting of UX, design, analytics, software engineers, and program managers.
You possess a passion for improving techniques, processes, analytical insights and technology to achieve our bold goals. You will help address the complex challenges of experiment design, using state of the art statistical techniques.
As an early member of the Experimentation team, you will not only be able to develop the new team, but also help define the way performance is measured, defining what questions should be asked. And play a big part in finding new opportunities that help drive innovation.
We’re looking for a proactive candidate who not only redefines the art of possible, but who thinks customer first, is commercially aware, will influence business priorities, drive improvements in our toolset & roadmap, and provide inspirational management and personal development for our fabulous team.
We have rapid growth planned in 2018 and we expect you to play a leading role in shaping who we are and what we do - to add most value to Farfetch, and keep this a brilliant place to work. In return you can expect an opportunity to shine, plenty of support from a talented team, and a friendly and positive working environment.
What you’ll do:
- You will lead on the definition and development of a suite of tools and techniques to ensure Farfetch can carry out its Experimentation agenda.
- You will research, prototype and productionise Machine Learning pipelines to provide solutions for problems in Product with substantial commercial impact.
- You will work with large, complex data sets, solving hard problems using advanced statistical and Machine Learning techniques. Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- You will recruit, manage and retain a high performing team of Data Scientists; coaching them, setting their priorities and working collaboratively to deliver projects on time and to the highest standards.
- You will act as a leader for Data Science in the wider Farfetch organisation, working with commercial and technical stakeholders to define and deliver intelligent systems.
- You will collaborate with other Scientists and Engineers, identify opportunities for, design, and assess improvements to Farfetch products.
Who you are:
- Superbly qualified - you developed your inquisitive mind via a Masters degree, or higher, in a quantitative domain such as Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics, or similar
- Leading proponent in your chosen field - you’ll have deep expertise in large-scale digital experimentation, including a strong grasp of concepts such as multivariate hypothesis testing, experimental design for optimization and Bayesian statistics. An interest in online learning is a huge plus.
- Extremely capable of working with data modeling, visualization tools and machine learning software - having a working knowledge of productionizing models: version control, unit tests, continuous integration.
- Big picture thinker - someone who is willing to contribute new ideas and articulate them to a variety of stakeholders and not just execute on existing ones. Combined with an ability to rapidly break complex questions into simple, actionable and testable hypotheses.
- Investor in people - We want someone who seeks to deliver impact, but also invests in themselves and others. We don’t get better by standing still, so you will need to consistently seek to innovate and raise the bar.
- Pragmatist - You know how to convert data into decisions without getting stuck in paralysis by analysis.
- Great story teller - able to communicate findings clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Customer focused. Always.
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.