Newly organised under our first Chief Data Officer, we’re looking for an exceptionally talented Director of Data. Reporting to the CDO, the Director of Data will be responsible for leading Data Science, Data Engineering and Analytics teams in London.
This once in a lifetime opportunity is a chance to shape a Central Data Function, that will be a critical growth engine for a fast-growing company. Innovating with cutting edge technologies in Machine Learning, Business Intelligence, Analytics and Data Engineering, you will help deliver a scalable, flexible, cloud-native data architecture that will enable Data Scientists and Analysts to generate value in a near-real time, event driven world. Helping create single-sources of truth, providing Data Governance using the latest tools and technologies, improving data quality with ground breaking business intelligence techniques, you will be making an impact felt across the organization. You’ll be responsible for setting the standard for Data practitioners across the organisation.
You’ll be customer obsessed, strategic yet execution focused and an entrepreneurial leader with a strong bias for action. Working closely with your counterparts across the world, you’ll work cross functionally and across locations to create a Data community where collaboration, knowledge sharing, building on commonality and embracing new things are key. You will be working in a fast-paced environment where every day brings new challenges and new opportunities to innovate and you’ll help drive the business forward through data insights.
What you'll do:
- Hire, coach, and lead a team of talented Data Scientists, Analysts and Engineers to deliver value. Develop each team member in order to achieve A+ performance, motivation and happiness;
- Define and lead the strategy and roadmap in collaboration with business and technology partners;
- Engage with our technology partners (e.g., data engineers, infrastructure) to refine the road to production;
- Quantify the Data function’s impact and help shape objectives and key responsibilities (OKRs);
- Drive a strategic and consistent way of doing things across the Data function;
- Take the lead on creating a Data community, with particular focus on sharing best practice, harmonising ways of working and creating a sense of ‘one team’;
- Lead efforts to consolidate and refine Identify opportunities to improve the customer experience;
- Communicate complex solutions in a clear and understandable way to both experts and non-experts.
Who you are:
- MSc or Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline: Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, Analytics;
- Data Science, Analytics, Business Intelligence and/or Data Engineering background with 7+ years experience;
- A strong leader, coach and manager, with a proven track record in attracting, recruiting, managing and developing outstanding talent
- Proven experience in building business value through the strategic and innovative use of data
- Experience with identifying the best metrics (both business and technical) for monitoring live machine learning services.
- Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modelling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations;
- Ability to review production level code in Python;
- Passion for big data technologies (e.g. Spark, Kafka, Presto, Snowflake, BigQuery, Hadoop, Hive, Azure/GCP, Looker, Tableau);
- Practical understanding and hands-on experience with machine learning, supervised learning methods (linear and logistic regression, decision trees, random forests, boosting methods, graphical models, neural networks/deep learning, etc), NLP and Computer Vision methods (word embeddings, BERT, ResNet, etc), Mathematical optimization (mixed integer programming, linear programming, stochastic programming/optimization, etc.), Modelling and simulation (Monte Carlo methods, Markov Chains, Markov Decision Processes, etc.);
- Conversant across the latest approaches, best practices and technologies, and how they can be used to drive commercial value
- Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within our organization;
- You thrive and have demonstrated success in an environment which offers ambiguously defined problems, big challenges, and quick changes.
- An expert in balancing detailed execution with speed and possess solid collaborative skills across all levels.
- Proven in building business value through the strategic and innovative use of data