Data Science Engineer
Our world-class Technology team is at the core of what we do. The team helps support the running of the current business and explores new and exciting technologies that keep Farfetch truly revolutionising the industry. Split across 3 main offices- London, Porto and Lisbon, the tech hub is the fastest growing team working across all touch points, Web, Mobile and Instore. The team is committed to turning the company into the leading multi-channel platform.
What You’ll do:
• Collaborate with Software Engineers, Data Scientists, Big Data Engineers, DevOps, Release Engineers and others to deliver efﬁcient data products;
• Design and develop scalable and performance oriented services with strong emphasis in algorithmic design and scalability;
• Work with the DevOps and Release Engineering teams on the release and maintenance processes for the developed software;
• Design and analyse experiments to test new ideas to improve our personalization algorithms;
• Participate in the choice of the appropriate data stores for each service. Using Big Data and NoSQL data stores when necessary and taking into consideration the identiﬁed trade-offs of distributed systems.
Who You Are:
• Experienced in object-oriented languages (C#, VB.NET or Java);
• Expert in Python and experience in the creation of Python services using its backend frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django);
• Expert in building scalable, maintainable and high-performance solutions;
• Experience in designing and implementing complex services, often made of separate APIs;
• Understanding of software as a service design and standard web service technologies (HTTP, JSON, etc);
• Solid understanding of data structures and technologies such as SQL, Mongo, Redis, ElasticSearch;
• Experienced in batch and real-time data processing frameworks like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, or Storm;
• Background working in cloud environments – AWS, Rackspace, Azure, etc;
• Experience providing practical business insights from large, vast and unstructured data sets;
• Proven ability to develop and ship robust machine learning solutions to solve business problems;
• Experience with Linux and Docker;
• Strong scripting ability and knowledge of versioning systems (Git);
• Ability to clearly communicate ﬁndings to technical and non-technical audiences - verbal and written;
• Knowledge in Continuous delivery and continuous integration tools and practices;
• Experienced in SOA architecture;
• Experienced in working with SCRUM methodologies a plus;
• An excellent team worker and with communication skills;
• Skilled in problem-solving and with a proactive attitude;
• Familiarity with system administration tasks is considered a plus.
We love hearing from you and want you to be as ambitious as we are, but before applying please ask yourself the following…
- Is this role a good match for me and my long-term goals? We want to really know why you have chosen this career.
- Do I have all the skills and experience required for this role? Be realistic. We will only consider applications that demonstrate relevant skills or the potential to match the role requirements.
- Spell Check. As simple as it sounds make sure your application is to the highest standard. You will be surprised at how many applications we receive with spelling mistakes on them.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships