Principal Engineer - Data
Farfetch is unlike anything in the world of fashion and technology.
We have rapidly grown into a truly global company since our launch in 2008 and we’re continuing to grow. Our family now includes partner boutiques and brands across Europe, North and South America and Asia; we demonstrate our ‘Think Global’ value in everything we do.
We are a global team of over 1,500 people and have offices based in London, New York, L.A., Porto, Guimaraes, Lisbon, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Moscow, Hong Kong & Tokyo.
We are a company with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovative culture. We are positive, passionate and live our values: Be Human, Be Brilliant, Todos Juntos, Be Revolutionary, Think Global and Amaze Customers day to day.
Farfetch’s Data Teams are focused on everything related to data. Their main purpose is to harness the power of Farfetch’s data to deliver insights and reports that support business decisions and also analyze and discover new ways to amaze our customers. These teams cover multiple areas related to data, such as Business Intelligence, Software and Data Engineering, Data Science and Data Analytics.
To be part of Farfetch’s Data Engineering Team as a Principal Engineer, being a reference for other members of the data engineering team and help them solve some of our most complex data engineering challenges.
What you'll do
- Help data engineers solve complex problems in the realm of BI, Big Data, and Analytics;
- Be a part of the team that decides the long term technical roadmap for farfetch data platform;
- Be the technical reference for data engineers when tackling complex problems or deciding on what is the best approach to solve problems centered around data;
- Have an holistic vision about the technological stack, the development patterns and the set of tools that data engineers use and evolve that stack, patterns and tools;
- Work closely with the architecture team to assure data engineering is working towards the standards we set ourselves as a company;
- Engage with other engineering teams to assure the solutions the data engineering team provides are fulfilling their most complex requirements;
- Coach and up-skill other engineering team members in data engineering topics, acting as a reference for data engineering standard methodologies within Farfetch.
Who you are
- A graduate of a program in Information Systems or a related field;
- A professional with at least 8 years of demonstrable experience in the data engineering field;
- DevOps mindset;
- Experienced in defining and implementing complex large scale data engineering solutions using Big Data technologies;
- An expert in at least one of the key Big Data technologies in our tech stack (Spark, Hive, Hadoop, etc.);
- Experienced in defining and implementing APIs to expose data in SOA or microservices architectures;
- Experience with ingestion of large amounts of data (streaming or batch) in a data lake architecture;
- Experience in defining the strategy, modeling and implementation of business intelligence solutions and architectures for self-service analytics;
- Experience in evolving traditional data warehouse systems to Big Data systems capable of providing business intelligence solutions at scale;
- Experience in data modeling for traditional Data Warehousing and also in creating or adapting data models for NoSQL/Big Data solutions;
- Knowledgeable of the specific engineering challenges related to distributed systems;
- Capable of being the Technical Reference and Evangelist for the use of new technologies within the data domain;
- Experience in the definition of long term strategy for data engineering - stack evolution, arch guidelines, etc;
- Experience in agile software development. Experience with agile development methodologies applied to BI/Data engineering is a major plus;
- An excellent communicator in English, with the capability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization;
- Able to handle multiple tasks/priorities at a time, respond to work with urgency and understand deadlines;
- Attentive to detail, with an ability to assimilate, sort through and aggregate complex information quickly and effectively;
- Experienced in working in large scale organizations on a multinational level with a multi-cultural team is a plus;
- Experienced in the Scrum methodology is also a plus.<span
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil.