Data Scientist - Commercial Planning
About the Commercial department:
We're at the creative, cutting-edge of fashion. It's our job to source product from emerging boutiques and spot new trends, as well as work with the world's biggest luxury brands. Our team consists of Commercial Strategy, Commercial Planning & Analytics, Category Development, Visual Merchandising, Brands Partnerships, Business Development, & Account Management.
We collaborate with almost every team across the business, which keeps things varied and exciting!
About the role:
As a fast-growing fashion e-commerce business and one of the main tech companies in the fashion world, harnessing the value of the data generated by our operations is key to Farfetch’s future success. As data science group, we are at the forefront of this effort.
Joining us, you will be a part of a small, project-focussed team working on informing business decisions by using Farfetch’s data in the most rigorous way. The projects you will work on will help the Commercial team to better understand and model supply and demand and their different levers both in the short and long term.
As a data scientist you’ll be responsible for owning projects, working with internal partners across the business and developing the technology we depend on. Moreover you’ll be an active participant across the whole of the UK data science team, providing your knowledge and expertise in support of our initiatives.
Who you are:
- You have a MSc or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Economics/Econometrics or other quantitative scientific discipline. You don’t just apply out-of-the-box models, you know how they work, when they work and why they work.
- You have relevant industry experience in an advanced Analytics or Data Science role, ideally with exposure to commercial problems (e.g. supply and demand, operations, pricing). You have experience of taking a project from munging raw data, through exploratory analysis and prototyping, to a final, polished version in a short timeframe.
- You have experience and confidence in working closely with business partners to identify requirements and translate them into data science problems.
- You have excellent communication skills. You’ll be comfortable taking complex ideas and communicating them to different audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- You have experience in writing clean, good quality, reusable code (preferably in Python, which is our core language). You are fluent in SQL and you preferably have experience with code reviews, and version control.
- You have a visionary mindset. Understanding how to improve business processes and find opportunities to apply data science techniques to real problems is as exciting to you as solving them.
- You have a strong curiosity to research, develop and implement world-leading solutions to problems. We want you to go beyond the easy, obvious answers to find the best one possible and then understand how to make it a reality.
- You have good foundations in statistics.
- You preferably have experience designing, executing and evaluating tests, and understand the biases and external factors that may affect them.
- You preferably have experience in using state of the art machine learning techniques in a business setting, such as Bayesian modeling- or a keen interest to learn more.