High School Building Substitute
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remains consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change his/her life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In spring 2019, we cheered on our first senior class as they became the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Building Subs gain a great deal of exposure to fundamental areas of teaching, including curriculum development and classroom management. They are eager to learn and actively seek out feedback in order to build their instructional skills. Like all Excel teachers, they are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Provide regular coverage during instructional and non-instructional time;
- Supervise an after-school program (for example, Writer’s Workshop or Homework Club);
- Provide operational support as needed;
- Serve as an advisor to a cohort of students;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required;
- Some experience working in an urban public or charter school and/or with urban students preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.