High School Counselor
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remains consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change his/her life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In spring 2019, we cheered on our first senior class as they became the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel Academy High School is seeking a School Counselor who is responsible for assessing and providing limited school-based treatment social-emotional concerns that interfere with the student’s ability to access and engage in the Excel curriculum. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assess student needs;
- Provide recommendations based on professional expertise;
- Manage an ongoing caseload of students;
- Communicate with parents;
- Provide counseling and support services for selected students, as needed;
- Coordinate care and frequently communicate with outside providers
- Work as part of the Student Support Team; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- Must hold a Master’s degree in social work or counseling;
- Must hold an LICSW, LCSW, or LSW (or working towards a licensure, requiring supervision hours) or hold a DESE license in school counseling or adjustment counseling;and
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a school-based setting;
- Must be fluent in Spanish;
- A commitment to addressing inequity in education;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the wiliness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.