Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: Excel Teaching Fellows
Campus/Location: All Campuses
Reports To: Mentor Teachers
Founded in 2003 to provide a free, public, high-quality college preparatory education for the students of East Boston and Chelsea, Excel is proving that children’s ability to succeed in high school, college, and beyond is not determined by zip code. We have grown from one school serving approximately 200 students to a network of four schools serving more than 1,300 students, and our purpose and theory of change remain consistent: we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned with personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory. As a true public school, Excel is defined by whom we include in our community, not whom we exclude. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
After 8 years of operating a small single-site middle school in East Boston, Excel was designated a “Proven Provider” by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and granted two additional charters to serve middle school students. After four more successful years, Excel Academy Charter High School opened in 2015. In June 2019, we cheered on our founding senior class as they became the first cohort to receive high school diplomas from Excel.
The Fellowship Experience
The Excel Academy Teaching Fellowship is an intensive teacher development program for the duration of one school year. Through structured classroom experience guided by an experienced mentor, observation, and coaching you will develop the skills and mindset to design rigorous and inclusive instruction and become a successful lead classroom teacher.
Mentorship and Professional Development
As an Excel Academy Teaching Fellow, you will be coached and mentored by an experienced teacher who will support your professional growth over the course of the year. You will become part of a diverse cohort of other aspiring educators. Together you will participate in weekly professional development sessions with topics including rigorous classroom instruction, classroom management, data-driven instruction, and equity and inclusion.
Opportunities for Growth
- High-performing fellows may be asked to take on a parental leave coverage assignment. For the duration of that coverage, compensation will be increased to a full teacher salary.
- During your Teaching Fellow year, you will have the option to apply for a lead teaching position at Excel Academy for the following school year, and as a current Excel employee, you will be guaranteed an interview.
Benefits and Compensation
- Excel Academy Teaching Fellows earn a salary of $37,000 plus comprehensive benefits
- Opportunity to receive additional compensation of up to $8,000 for fluency in specific languages, special education and/or ESL certification, and/or key points of intersection with Excel students.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as co-teacher in the classroom of the Mentor Teacher
- Develop and teach lessons with your Mentor Teacher with a gradual increase in teaching responsibilities as the school year progresses;
- Observe and provide in-class support;
- Actively engage in coaching opportunities with mentor teacher;
- Teach small group instruction.
- Additional Coverage and Support
- Teach and develop curriculum for 1-2 elective courses (Middle Schools only);
- Provide regular coverage for instructional and non-instructional class blocks;
- Act as a substitute teacher when a lead teacher is absent;
- Lead after-school activities and enrichment;
- Lead/co-lead a 90-minute enrichment class session on Fridays;
- Prove targeted, individualized student support in the grade level of highest needs;
- Serve as an advisor for a group students; and
- Provide operational support as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree;
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting;
- Speak Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic fluently;
- Can speak to the importance of rigorous classroom instruction and culture;
- Can speak to the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Application and Resume
Positions are filled on a rolling basis. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and candidates are encouraged to submit their application and resume through the Jobvite portal as soon as possible.
You will speak with someone from our Talent team to share about why you are interested in the Fellowship, what strengths you bring to the role, and learn more about more the Fellowship and Excel
Fellow Candidates will be asked to provide professional references early in the interview process.
Interview with School-Based Team
Select candidates will interview in person, lead a demonstration lesson with students, and observe and meet Excel teachers at one of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to building a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic will also receive additional compensation.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Compensation: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.