The Nurse Practitioner (NP) is part of a multidisciplinary team that provides comprehensive medical care to patients. The NP works autonomously and in collaboration with a variety of staff to diagnose and manage patients’ health care. Participation in the development, expansion, and maintenance of the Equitas Health Medical Center program is expected. The NP will be an integral part of the medical center’s quality committee and will be involved in the preparation and application process for certification as a patient centered medical home.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving or having reliable transportation; written communication; relationship building with clients and community partners; utilizing a computer for typing and conducting research; attending meetings; and presenting to individuals, small and large groups.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide direct medical services to patients including but not limited to comprehensive medical history, medical assessment, primary care, specialty care for transgender and gender nonconforming people, specialty HIV care, laboratory surveillance, and physical exam.
- Prescribe or recommend pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies including controlled substances and hormone therapy.
- Facilitate direct patient admissions into hospitals when needed.
- Play key role on multidisciplinary team to develop coordinated treatment plans.
- Use primary care clinic protocols and procedures in providing services.
- Consult with Collaborating Physician regularly.
- Educate patients on Transgender Health, HIV disease, primary care issues, and adherence strategies to medications prescribed.
- Assess patient risk behaviors and educate patients in prevention of HIV transmission, provide HIV prevention therapy as needed.
- Assist with the development and implementation of clinic policies and procedures, clinical protocols, continuous quality improvement standards and program monitoring.
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with the trans and gender nonconforming community to enhance patient access to services including specialists and consultant care.
- Continually update own knowledge of trans health and HIV/AIDS through reading, conference attendance, lectures and other educational opportunities.
- Serve on the Equitas Health Quality Improvement Committee and participate in quality efforts to increase health outcomes for patients.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients and conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Continuously grow and develop cultural competency, exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity. Practice cultural humility in daily interactions with staff, patients and community.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating unconditional positive regard to all Equitas Health employees, interns, etc. with an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Other medical center and pharmacy related duties as assigned.
- Provides clinical care for trans and gender nonconforming patients at Equitas Health clinics throughout Ohio.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ohio licensure as a Nurse Practitioner with prescriptive authority.
- Certification in CPR/BLS.
- Experience in Epic preferred.
- 2 years or more experience in providing primary care desired
- 2 years or more experience in providing HIV care desired.
- Ability to work Saturdays and extended hours on an intermittent and rotating basis.
- Exemplary customer service as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and social service needs of persons with HIV/AIDS.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, transgender and gender non-conforming pateints, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, chemical dependency and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA
It is the policy of Equitas Health that no employee or applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, gender-identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, HIV status, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, union activity, military, veteran, and economic status, or any other characteristic protected in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all phases of its personnel activity including recruitment, hiring, placement, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, separation, recall, compensation, benefits, education, recreation, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.
Equitas Health values diversity and welcomes applicants from a broad array of backgrounds.