Prevention Specialist (Mozaic)
The Prevention Specialist is responsible for HIV Testing, linkage to care and patient navigation for people newly diagnosed with HIV and/or re-linkage for those who are not receiving medical treatment in the Mozaic program targeting transgender and gender non-confirming communities in Central Ohio. The individual holding this position is responsible for ensuring that people living with HIV are able to access care and maintain that care into the future.
PAY RANGE: $31,200-$36,000
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, providing HIV testing and counseling services, traveling, driving and having reliable transportation, utilizing a computer for typing, online outreach and conducting research; utilizing a telephone; attending meetings; and presenting to small and large groups.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide targeted HIV testing in the community and office settings
- Collect samples for testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Link people newly diagnosed with HIV to medical treatment using the ARTAS Effective Intervention model or re-linking those who are not receiving medical treatment
- Assess client needs and link clients to effective prevention and essential support services including housing, nutrition assistance, mental health and substance abuse treatment, employment services, and other needs as identified by the client
- Assess potential barriers to care and working with patients to reduce obstacles resulting from lack of transportation, mental illness, substance abuse, etc.
- Assist clients with HIV to navigate the HIV healthcare system
- Link clients who are HIV-negative to health care
- Assist clients in insurance enrollment process for Medicaid, Medicare, or the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Provides healthcare navigation for members of the targeted community
- Collaborates with clinical providers to provide quality care and a seamless continuum of care.
- Makes appropriate referrals and linkages as required
- Provides appropriate documentation of patient interactions
- Establish close relationships with local homeless shelters, substance abuse treatment facilities, youth service providers and other community based organizations
- Provide sex education, HIV risk reduction counseling, and referrals to Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and/or Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
- Complete training in ARTAS, Freeman Patient Navigation Institute, Ohio Department of Health Client Centered HIV Test Counselor, Couples HIV Testing and Counseling, and other trainings as required by Equitas Health or the CDC
- Participate in quality improvement efforts and technical assistance
- Collect, analyze, and report data on program activities, including ensuring data is entered timely and accurately into the necessary data systems
- Review and recommend potential resources which are culturally sensitive to the targeted community.
- Provide input and support to the program.
- Stay informed about current HIV/AIDS trends, developments, as well as state-of-the-art prevention efforts and strategies and general information regarding the targeted community
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate or Bachelor degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other Qualifications:
- Experience with teaching or giving presentations and program evaluation preferred
- Experience with social media and networking required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills a must
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence and interest in working with persons of the transgender, non-binary or gender non-conforming community
- Must have or must acquire within 3 months of employment an HIV Test Counselor Training Certificate and training in OraSure and OraQuick
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required
- Regular and predictable attendance is required
Background and reference checks will be conducted. Hours vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA
It is the policy of Equitas Health that no employee or applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, gender-identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, HIV status, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, union activity, military, veteran, and economic status, or any other characteristic protected in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all phases of its personnel activity including recruitment, hiring, placement, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, separation, recall, compensation, benefits, education, recreation, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.
Equitas Health values diversity and welcomes applicants from a broad array of backgrounds.