The Retention Specialist provides risk reduction counseling and health education to clients to improve their health literacy, increase retention in medical care, provides outreach to clients who are out of care, and achieve better health outcomes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving, and utilizing a computer for typing and data collection, attending meetings, conducting assessments and effective outreach with clients.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide interventions that improve the health literacy of clients and increases the client’s confidence in their ability to navigate healthcare systems.
- Complete assessments that focus on specific barriers to care including health disparities and assist the client in successfully overcoming barriers to prevention, care, and treatment.
- Design outreach and education to involve strategies that improve health literacy and help eliminate barriers to prevention, care and treatment.
- Assist clients in creating a Wellness plan that identifies the individual’s self-determined goals, as well as specific objectives to carry out these goals.
- Shares own recovery story as appropriate, and walks alongside the service recipient.
- Attend and positively participate in required team, agency, and interdisciplinary meetings.
- Coordinate and consult with other team members to keep team informed of issues and progress of clients in achieving their goals
- Ensure timely completion of all required paperwork.
- Work to increase level of cultural sensitivity, awareness and competency regarding Person Centered and Peer Delivered Services
- Educate and advocate for the values and principles of the Recovery Model.
- Work with Supervisor to develop and support new programming.
- Receive regular weekly supervision from the Supervisor, seeking additional supervision whenever necessary. Maintain appropriate referral sources and contact persons for community-based services.
- Coordinate with case managers, clinic staff, providers and Linkage to Care Specialists to identify clients who would benefit from agency services.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients; Conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Work in a clinic and community setting, as part of a multi-disciplinary team, to identify hardest to reach patients and engage/re-engage them in medical care and/or CM services
- Strive for continuous growth and development of Cultural Competency exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Maintain client files and records as directed by agency policies and procedures
- Complete accurate data collection, reports, and documentation to provide data for federal, state, agency and board purposes as assigned by supervisor.
- Work in conjunction with Equitas Health committees related to clients’ needs and services.
- Other duties as assigned related to this position by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous experience in a peer support or service delivery position.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor degree in human services or related field preferred.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, mental health, sexual practices, and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
- Knowledge and adherence to social work standards and ethics.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA