Licensed Practical Nurse (STI Clinic)
The LPN will be responsible for operating the Columbus-based STI test and treat clinics, housed within both the Short North and King-Lincoln centers. This clinic setting is for both established and non-established patients to access testing and treatment services for sexually transmitted infections. The primary role will involve operating the clinic during walk-in hours, following up on all testing results, medication administration, data collection, and data reporting. The LPN will report directly to the RN Care Coordinator, and be supervising Prevention team members during testing times. With residual time (if the clinic allows), the LPN will be assisting with patient care coordination in the clinics under the supervision of the Nursing Team Lead and the RN Care Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to, traveling, driving or having reliable transportation; written communication; relationship building with community partners and funders; utilizing a computer for typing and patient care; attending meetings; and presenting to small groups.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Ordering and managing inventory of testing and treatment supplies for the STI clinic, including monthly reporting to contracted labs and appropriate health department(s).
- Triaging walk-in patients for testing and treatment purposes, alongside supervising Prevention team members that are assisting with testing during clinic hours.
- Detailed and sufficient documentation of current patient presentation, effective relaying of information to Provider on clinic duty, and administering any ordered medications by Provider.
- Patient education on appropriate follow-up testing times, medication side effects, adverse reactions, and abstinence period following treatment.
- Timely reporting and documentation of positive test results and treatment in database, correct results sharing with local and state health departments, and follow-up communication to patients.
- Assist and support the provision of medical and nursing care throughout the clinic. Provide direct nursing care to patients accessing the Equitas Health Medical Center, including, phlebotomy, immunizations, injections, and health maintenance screenings. Follow approved nursing and clinic protocols and procedures when providing care to patients to meet the nursing needs of patients.
- Provide comprehensive care to patients who call on the phone for assistance, triaging their medical needs and arranging sick visits as necessary. Maintain a nursing message line, checking for messages 3-4 times throughout the day and triaging level of need for response by the team.
- Prepare exam rooms for patient visits by sterilizing and cleaning surfaces, and restocking supplies.
- Be responsible for infection control procedures in facility as established by the agency.
- Greet and room patients by effectively communicating with receptionist through electronic health record scheduling system.
- Collect vitals, chief complaint, medical history, medication list, and reason for visit within electronic health record.
- Coordinate exchange between the clinic and pharmacy before, during, and after the visit to ensure efficient flow.
- Document all care provided, including but not limited to specialty care, telephone triage calls and medication refills, in the electronic medical chart consistent with standard nursing practice and as directed by agency policies and procedures.
- Provide follow up phone calls to clients or other professionals as needed.
- Educate patients on HIV disease, medical care issues and adherence strategies to prescribed medications and assess patient risk behaviors and educate patients in prevention of HIV transmission. Provide between-visit patient contact with patients, providing necessary medical reminders, instructions about medications/adherence.
- Comply with the Equitas Health Health Care Corporate Compliance Standards of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Participate in preparing statistical and other reports as needed.
- Play key role on multidisciplinary team in providing a medical home for patients. Work with patients, physician, pharmacist, therapists, and case managers to develop appropriate treatment plans.
- Participate in other agency meetings as requested by supervisor including continuous quality improvement committee meetings.
- Demonstrate unconditional positive regard to clients and conduct all aspects of job responsibilities with a focus on exceptional customer service.
- Continuously grow and develop cultural competency, exhibiting an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating unconditional positive regard to all Equitas Health employees, interns, etc. with an understanding, awareness, and respect for diversity.
- Conduct special projects and perform any other related duties as assigned by RN Care Coordinator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ohio licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse
- Certification in CPR/BLS.
- Three years or greater experience in medical setting (Walk-In clinic experience preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of nursing practice standards.
- Ability to be flexible in work hours.
- Exemplary customer service as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and social service needs of persons with sexually transmitted infections (STI) and HIV/AIDS.
- Must have sensitivity to, interest in and competence in cultural differences, HIV/AIDS, minority health, sexual practices, chemical dependency and a demonstrated competence in working with persons of color, and gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and other computer applications required.
- Reliable transportation, driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
Background and reference checks will be conducted. Hours may vary, including working some evenings and weekends based on workload. Individuals are not considered applicants until they have been asked to visit for an interview and at that time complete an application for employment. Completing the application does not guarantee employment. In accordance with Equitas Health’s Drug-Free Workplace Policy, pre-employment drug testing will be administered. EOE/AA
It is the policy of Equitas Health that no employee or applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, gender-identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, HIV status, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, union activity, military, veteran, and economic status, or any other characteristic protected in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all phases of its personnel activity including recruitment, hiring, placement, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, separation, recall, compensation, benefits, education, recreation, and all other conditions or privileges of employment.
Equitas Health values diversity and welcomes applicants from a broad array of backgrounds.